any bittorrent client that has transport encryption besides azures?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
When I'm downloading torrents (legally) my ISP throttles my bandwidth. I'm forced to have transport encryption to get full speed downloads. However Azures is bloated and I'd like something a little more streamlined but still have transport encryption. Does such a thing exist?

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about torrents, but couldn't you just encrypt all your internet traffic using a tunnel. That way you don't need a program that supports encryption since OS X and the VPN service is doing all the work.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
do you have more information on a tunnel? I don't know what it is and google was no help.

Reaction score
Think of it like a proxy server. That server is going to act as a proxy between you and the rest of the internet. When you want a web page, or a torrent, your computer asks this server to retrieve it for you. The the link between you and that server is an encrypted tunnel, so your internet service provider has can't tell what type of traffic/information is moving between you and the proxy.

You'll need to subscribe to a service that offers tunneling. Try the 3 day trial service offered at: http://alivevpn.com/ and see how it works for you. There are other services though. I use https://www.relakks.com/ - they have setup instructions on their site for OS X that you can use as a guide for the free trial at alivevpn. Once you are connected, check your IP address to see if it is working. Or just go to google. If google is in Russian, your IP address is now resolving to Russia and you know that the tunnel is working.

I have a crappy ISP also. Someone posted this a few days ago on the forum where where we all complain. I think it might interest you
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19886365-Bit-torrent-being-Throttled-Try-utorrent-v-18

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
When I'm downloading torrents (legally) my ISP throttles my bandwidth. I'm forced to have transport encryption to get full speed downloads. However Azures is bloated and I'd like something a little more streamlined but still have transport encryption. Does such a thing exist?

Transmission has encryption on as default, I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah Transmission offers encryption. But if your ISP is going to throttle your downloads, you should throttle their checks... get a new ISP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I agree.. in fact: I'd call them up and say just that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Whats the point of offering high speed internet service if it's throttled?
Like selling sports cars with a governed intake manifolds!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple 12-inch MacBook Retina
Since your ISP sees your traffic so not matter which torrent client you use it will throttle. Transmission provides encryption but it does not protect your IP from being exposed to the torrent sharers which is the reason people use a Torrent VPN to hide their overall identity over the Internet (including BitTorrent). You can also look for uTorrent and BitTorrent and use the built-in encryption, but that would not be enough. Either you can go for a VPN or proxy service, or change your ISP which does not care what you download.

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Zombie thread Peter. Check the date... 2008. And no advertising of your site is allowed. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.