Bloody Repair Permissions!!!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any explanation why, when i click repair disk permissions, its goes upto a certain bit then stops... Using disk utility btw. Please if anyone has any info.

Sam

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First have you installed the 10.5.1 update? If yes, Disk Utility takes a lot longer in 10.5 to complete the repair permissions. When it looks like it's just sitting there give it more time and it should complete. Mine will sit at the 1 Minute remaining for a couple of minutes or more then the progress bar will start moving.

On my iBook G4 it stayed at that 1 minute remaining screen for 4-5 minutes then started to move and finished in 1 more minute.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
If you are using 10.5.1, then this is a known issue and you also will have about 10 SUIDs which remain. Hopefully it will be fixed in 10.5.2.

It does take ages with Disk Utility though.

OP
S
Reaction score
o ok, cheers guys. Yeah mine stops at the exact same spot so ill leave it for a while, if not, then lets so what the next update does!
Sam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
my imac and powerbook both with Leopard take about 15 minutes to run disk util permissions.

M

MacHeadCase

This is rather long just to repair disk permissions. Since I am not using Leopard yet, I am curious.

The length of time it takes for this procedure, is it that long no matter which utility (MainMenu, OnyX, etc.) you guys use to repair the permissions? Or is it only Apple's Disk Utility that takes this long to do the repairs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since Main Menu and OynX use the Disk Utility to repair permissions, yes it takes just as long. My iMac G5 takes less time though than my iBook. Maybe hard drive speed, who knows. It's much better for me since 10.5.1.

M

MacHeadCase

Ooh! I didn't know that! Thanks for the MainMenu/Disk Utility combo info, trav!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First reports mod on X.5 said Repair Permissions is a much more complicated procedure under Leopard. The progress bar does not seem to move for the first ten minutes, and takes some 17-20 minutes all up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yes, it seems to be unresponsive at all for a LONG time. They should add an hourglass, spinning blue thing, or even a Please Wait flashing onscreen. I cant tell you how many times when I first updated to Leopard I did a force quit on disk util thinking it was my computer having problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it seems to be unresponsive at all for a LONG time. They should add an hourglass, spinning blue thing, or even a Please Wait flashing onscreen. I cant tell you how many times when I first updated to Leopard I did a force quit on disk util thinking it was my computer having problems.

I thought the same thing when I first upgraded the iMac to Leopard then I just got used to it. 10.5.1 like I said already did make it faster with less of those errors we are supposed to ignore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.