Is it possible to revert to 10.4?

Reaction score
Hi there,

We recently bought a Mac Pro with the latest version of Leopard installed, plus the ATI HD2600 vid card.

Here's our problem: we bought the 'puter specifically to run a single, very important, piece of real-time warping software for our planetarium.

Problem is, the developer discovered the warper is incompatible with Leopard, though it works fine with Tiger. D'OH!

He's working on fixing the issue, but is there a way for us to revert OS's? That is, have a colleague make a clone of the Tiger OS on one of our drives, which we can then use to replace our current drive (the one containing Leopard)?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
You could do 2 things

one you could Erase and Install over the the current OS with 10.4 Tiger

second you setup a Parition on your current HD and Split one with Leopard and one with Tiger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did your Mac Pro come with Leopard installed out of the Box? If so they only gave you a Leopard install DVD. If it came with both let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh wait nevermind

they never made a intel verison of Tiger. It was only preinstalled on the Intel Macs never was there a CD copy.

Unless if you are using a PPC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a CD copy of Tiger in wont work unless, you use another Intel macs backup disk which is ummmmm....... illegal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have a CD copy of Tiger in wont work unless, you use another Intel macs backup disk which is ummmmm....... illegal.

Even if it was not against the EULA all the Install DVD's are Model Specific.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. To answer your questions,

The MP came with Leopard installed. There are two backup discs.

We have a version of Tiger, and when we tried to install it (we removed the Leopard HD and substituted another, empty drive) our MP just coughed it right out. All we got was a big "?" on the screen.

When we tried to install Tiger over our Leopard, the MP just said it couldn't read the disc.

Poop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Is the actual disc of tiger. Is it a grey or a black disc? Cause the grey ones are machine specific and only work on the machine they came with. But the black ones are the general retail versions of tiger. And should work on any mac capable of running it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Y'know, I don't remember the color of the disks. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Macheadcase - yep, I read that . . . thing is, we're sort of in a bind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.