desktop wallpaper blurry pics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
20" iMac. Whenever I select a picture from my iPhoto pics to use as my desktop wallpaper, the image is blurry and distorted. Is there a setting I need to change to make it work? If I downsize resolution, it just shrinks the pic to not fill the screen. I'm sure there is an easy answer....I just can't figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
It sounds like the images that you are selecting have low resolution to begin with. How large is each image file?

Reaction score
First, check that your picture isn't blurry itself. If it's not, go to system preferences (I'm a Windows user so not sure if this is how you do it), then change your screen resolution to the one that your computer screen pixelation is. The bigger the clearer (usually). I'm not sure if this is how you do it but this is probably the reason.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
lol don't alter your desktops resolution to accommodate a background as posted above, thats ridicules.. make sure your image as suggested in the first reply are good quality and not-to-small or, not-to-big.

also incase you missed it, in the desktop section in system preferences, theres several options for positioning the wall (Fit to screen, Fill screen, Stretch, Center, Tile)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is it also possible that the picture you are posting as wallpaper is of a smaller pixel dimension than your display? In this case, OS X has to stretch it, and that may be causing the blurriness. Make sure that your wallpaper is the same pixel size as your screen and it will be crisper.

Reaction score
Blurred wallpaper

Did you get this resolved in the end? I have the same problem. Mine started when I had to re-boot my Mac and re-installed my photos from a hard drive. They show fine in iPhoto but not as wallpaper. John

Reaction score
In addition to what everyone else has said, you might want to consider getting some wallpaper from http://interfacelift.com/ . They have a nice selection of high resolution widescreen images, that look absolutely stunning. Check your desktop resolution and download the proper size.

Reaction score
first check the size of your screen and then goggle desktop photos for that size
When you find an image online right click it and download it,
Next preview it, while in preview export it to your desktop
Then right click it off of your desktop and click set as desktop picture.
if the picture is really small it still may be blurry

If its photos you have taken then it is probably the resolution of your camera
Hope this helps :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums Nicky.

Please observe the date of the thread you're replying to. This particular one is over 6 years old. Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
first check the size of your screen and then goggle desktop photos for that size
When you find an image online right click it and download it,
Next preview it, while in preview export it to your desktop
Then right click it off of your desktop and click set as desktop picture.
if the picture is really small it still may be blurry

If its photos you have taken then it is probably the resolution of your camera
Hope this helps :)

And just too add to this, before its closed down so the Spammers don't come, if you look for something way bigger than your screen size, say 6000x4000, your screen will automatically resize to the screen size, so don't fret on finding something exact.

Cheers

PS: Now you can close it Charlie ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.