• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where to Live in Europe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thats fair. Your probably not gonna want or need a gun over this side of the pond anyway.

I'm not sure I "need" a gun and I live in Southern California. Want is a different story though.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Lol.

Europe will never be one large country.
Just look at the history. We've had too many intercountry wars to all live as one under one flag with one ruling government.

As it is, lots of the laws passed by the european parliament get ignored by some and taken as the gospel by others. The UK as a rule, abides by the laws passed down from Brussels but there are other nations just off our coast that take the ones they want and ignore the ones that they don't like.

This is a great thread but I fear has wandered a fair way off the original topic lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I agree, we have too many totally different languages (in some countries most people don't speak or understand english), religious beliefs, monarchies and history.

Like in Scandinavia; we love our brothers and sister (especially the sisters...) in Sweden and Denmark, but we have fought for our independence to many times to go into union with them again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
well, this thread has become interesting.

In the end, as has been said is about gut feeling. Personally I love Italy, but am thankful I live in the UK. Its not perfect, but at least I don't face arbitrary arrest, a corrupt government or Police force and an army that might take over the government any day.

As for the healthcare, I really don't think our system is that bad, I have found the NHS doctors and nurses to be great. Mind you I don't think people who get in to drunken fights should have their healthcare free of charge, and be seen in front of me to get them out of hospital when I have come off my bike and broken my collar bone.

As for guns, they are great fun and I have fired quite a few of them, but don't see the need to own one myself

At the moment I work in England, for a German company (Bosch) and get to work with Brits, Germans, Spaniards, Americans, Norwegians, Italians, Poles and French.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol.

Just look at the history. We've had too many intercountry wars to all live as one under one flag with one ruling government.

You may be right, but there are a lot of fairly powerful people who seem to want to see it become one.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Putting your family at risk so you can be "happy" while being broke seems foolish. Happiness won't take care of you or your kid in the Hospital, money will. I understand where you are coming from and Europe, at least some parts of it, is beautiful. So are some parts if the US if you bother to go and see it. Your words sound good, but the reality is quite different no matter how rosy of a picture you may have lodged in your head.

Leaving because of "the current government" seems a bit silly. By the time you get out, the "current government" will likely be out of power, unless you just don't like our system as a whole in which case you may be in for a nasty shock.

What family? What kids? Either way, I prefer Europe over America, for various personal reasons, America definitely (IMO) has the potential to one (if not the) best country out there, but obviously that hasn't be utilized for the past 8 years or so. I'm not here for argument, I am going to Europe and that is that, I'm here to get help in my decision in where to move to in Europe and that still persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What family? What kids? Either way, I prefer Europe over America, for various personal reasons, America definitely (IMO) has the potential to one (if not the) best country out there, but obviously that hasn't be utilized for the past 8 years or so. I'm not here for argument, I am going to Europe and that is that, except it of leave, I'm here to get help in my decision in where to move to in Europe and that still persists.

If it's just you then knock yourself out! I hope you find whatever it is you think you are looking for.

I'm not sure what "except it of leave" means means though....perhaps you meant "accept it or leave"? Your getting lots of help it seems and some alternate opinions/views.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Like in Scandinavia; we love our brothers and sister (especially the sisters...) in Sweden and Denmark, but we have fought for our independence to many times to go into union with them again.

That 'friendly animosity' has even carried over to the new world ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
That 'friendly animosity' has even carried over to the new world ;)
Not sure I understand what you are getting at?

I'm here to get help in my decision in where to move to in Europe and that still persists.
If you don't mind the cold weather, Scandinavia is great, otherwise I would seriously looked at the Benelux countries.

The smaller, fairly rich countries usually have better health care, less corruption and better labour market. And it's easier getting by without knowing the local language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I grew up in a largely Scandinavian area in the US. Yet there was still some friendly animosity.. between the Danes, Swedes and us Norwegians. Little things, like my grandfather complaining about 'those stubborn, bullheaded Swedes'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth, were I to move back to Europe I'm not really sure where I'd want to go back to. Germany was nice, but it's changed a lot since the reunification. Liked the UK too, but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Little things, like my grandfather complaining about 'those stubborn, bullheaded Swedes'
Now I understand... yes, you are absolutely right!

Norway has oil, Sweden has girls and Denmark has beer.

That basically means that I buy danish beer from a swedish waitress with norwegian oil-money ;D

Now it's time for bed, it's been a fun thread!

Reaction score
Yet again I have read into this topic but just a few posts; however, I have developed another opinion. England and France are probably the two best countries to live in in Europe, not by experience, or knowledge, they are just my two favorite countries (aside from the great United States of America).

I wouldn't think you would want to live in southern France as they get a bunch of tourism down there, and that is not something pleasant to deal with. However, I doubt you want to live in central France where Paris is on account of the atmosphere. I suggest you live in northern France as they are MUCH nicer towards Americans (I know this because I toured France and trust me they are) and there is a lot less tourism up there; plus you are not missing out on any of the beauty.

I do not know much about England, but I am sure it would be a great place to live, I don't know if I could get used to their accents though. :p

Hope you make the right decision!

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's just you then knock yourself out! I hope you find whatever it is you think you are looking for.

I'm not sure what "except it of leave" means means though....perhaps you meant "accept it or leave"? Your getting lots of help it seems and some alternate opinions/views.

Sorry accidently pasted it from my clipboard into the middle of my sentence, kinda fit in well though haha, and thanks for your insight, I think I might go to a college in France or Scotland to get started out there and then slowly seep into culture. I speak French pretty fluently but just don't think I want to deal with the culture shock and then the add on of living in a country of which speaks a different language then my primary one.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
No matter where you go, you'll find gerat places and nasty places. You'll also find nice people and nasty people.

You haven't got anything under your avatar saying where you are but if you want city life then try London, Paris, Barcelona, Brussels, Copenhagen etc.
If you want countryside and a warm climate then try mid France, Loire valley etc. inland Spain.

The perfect solution is to try 6 months in each country all the way up from Gibraltar.

I certainly wish I had the opportunity to do it. Or even wish I had when I was younger.

Good luck with wherever you choose. The community will be here wherever it is you end up.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan to tour europe in a year or so, so hopefully that should help me decide, and I agree with you completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.