newbie Mac user here - needs help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 B&W 450Mhz, 1Gb RAM OS X 10.3 LEOPARD
Hi all.

I'm brand new to the world of Mac and I've just 'acquired' a G3 B&W running OS X 10.2.1. The first thing I wanted to do was update the OS to the latest possible version using the standard software update tool. It identified a newer version available, (along with Safari update), and I chose download & install. The download commenced and then changed to 'unpacking files'. As soon as it changed to 'installing', the installer quit unexpectedly. The same happened for Safari. So.. I then tried to find, download and install updates manually. Same thing - after the image is mounted and install starts, it quits.
I checked & fixed permissions and made sure I had administrator rights, and also checked the disk. It seemed that everything I tried to install crashed / quit during installation - also any programs I did manage to download did not launch at all.

Now - here's the thing. I booted into OS 9.* just to have a look. I did not change / delete / move anything at all. Then the OS froze and I had to do a hard reboot. Now NOTHING will boot. It stays on the question mark - looking for boot device. I have done the PRAM reset (3 chimes), and used COOF. I hear the SCSI drive initiate at switch on, but no boot sector is found.

As the G3 was donated to me, I have no CD's / DVD's to boot from, and I know no-one else personally who is a MAC user.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, sbaceman.

Looks like your only recourse is to look for a restore disk kit on eBay or craigslit. I would suggest that you look for a Mac OS X 10.3 Panther retail full install disk instead of looking for a replacement of Jaguar and OS 9.

Panther was much more sturdy than Jaguar was and OS 9 is very old and it is becoming very hard to find software that will work in that archaic OS environment.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi MacHeadCase - and thanks.

I've readt that Tiger can run on this Mac - should I ignore that and go with Panther as you suggest?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Louishen - and thanks.

Everymac states that I can run up to Tiger 10.4.11 - but I wonder if, for stability reasons, an earlier release / version would come reccommended?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As well as my question directly above... does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened?

M

MacHeadCase

Hi MacHeadCase - and thanks.

I've readt that Tiger can run on this Mac - should I ignore that and go with Panther as you suggest?

Well if it can take Tiger, sure go ahead. But remember you would do very well if you added the most RAM you can for your Mac. One place that I recommend is Other World Computing (or simply OWC). It's quite easy to pick out the correct RAM for your Mac (Memory tab) and there RAM has a lifetime warranty. Prices aren't too shabby and they are very efficient and helpful if you need assistance.

As for 10.4.11, it works well and if the amount of RAM is sufficient it should be smooth sailing. Remember there are a few precautions to take when installing OS updates. Always unplug all unnecessary peripherals and make sure all your apps are quit before the install. During the update installs let the process run without using your Mac and you should have no problems after that unless you are using third-party software that is totally incompatible with Tiger. You can always check with the different software you want to use the system requirements they demand before installing them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for your help.

Let me get my hands on discs & RAM, and I'll report back as soon as I've attempted it.

M

MacHeadCase

Good luck with this! :)

Remember to look for Tiger disk that have a black label.

Edited to add:

The disk should look exactly like this:

attachment.php

Grey disks are hardware specific (restore disks) and you won't be able to find one for your Mac model since it shipped with earlier OS versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
As well as my question directly above... does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened?

Lots of issues may have made this happen. Based on your description my best guess if the HD has started to fail hence the complete stop you experienced. It is possible the RAM has failed or the logic board. Lots of possibilities.

Before you go and start buying trying to get this machine on it's wobbly legs try and determine the amount of money you are proposing to spend. Then compare that against a newer machine. A free machine is not a worthwhile machine to invest time and up to $400 in IMO. It can make a very cute aquarium or plant holder but sometimes it is time to say - enough. If I had this machine my vote would be no - time to move on and enjoy the Mac experience not fight very old machines.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of issues may have made this happen. Based on your description my best guess if the HD has started to fail hence the complete stop you experienced. It is possible the RAM has failed or the logic board. Lots of possibilities.

Before you go and start buying trying to get this machine on it's wobbly legs try and determine the amount of money you are proposing to spend. Then compare that against a newer machine. A free machine is not a worthwhile machine to invest time and up to $400 in IMO. It can make a very cute aquarium or plant holder but sometimes it is time to say - enough. If I had this machine my vote would be no - time to move on and enjoy the Mac experience not fight very old machines.

Thanks Chilbear... I appreciate what you're saying. I think I may have tracked down a friend with Retail OS X Tiger install disks... Obviously, there would be no financial outlay for trying this, so I guess I should try that first.

Thanks again for your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.