Pro Tools & Leopard (help resolve an argument)

Reaction score
another Pro Tools/Leopard thread. i'll be brief.

i too, just purchased a new Macbook Pro laptop that shipped with Leopard.

i too, just purchased a Mbox with Pro Tools 7.3 and was unable to install it on this machine.

i've read how some people have gotten Pro Tools running with Leopard, while others haven't. is this just by luck?

someone at an audio store told me that I CANNOT go back and install Tiger since it won't run with the latest Macbook Pro laptops. yet, i still see all these threads where people are going back to Tiger. can this be done? will installing Tiger mess up my machine, or should i just wait for the Digi update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I'm in the same boat as you... I will be getting a Digi 003 i two weeks and I just got a macbook pro. I've never used a mac before but I think it's silly to say that Tiger won't work on it. Sounds like a music store guy trying to sound knowledgeable, to me.
I was thinking about calling Apple and asking if they'd send me Tiger for free...

I will say...

I work with a guy who is a top level studio engineer and he is totally in Pro Tools. He says he's heard that compatibility with Leopard is imminent. Some say we won't see it til summer so you can't trust anything.

This post isn't much help, but you most certainly can install Tiger on your MBP... (Someone step in if I'm wrong) Also know that you have to backup your drive because all your data will be erased if you install Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pro Tools is like that other great backup utility SuperDuper - the techos are working on ithemand will release only when fully Leopard compatible. Just be (a little more) patient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 2ghz Macbook | 80Gb Ipod
I sent my laptop off to get fixed and they updated it to Leopard, it was a tiger machine before. I then bought Pro Tools and therefore had to downgrade back. It has done nothing to my machine whatsoever apart from the Mbox can be a bit of a temperamental ***** and cause my macbook to restart when disconnecting

Reaction score
MacBook Pro and PT

Digidesign is dragging their feet with an update for Leopard because they are Apple's competition. Since they own M-Audio is also locks those up... now that Logic is becoming a standard everywhere but in the US, Digi is fighting to stay alive. They will come out with an update at some point, but who knows when. The issues you described having is a common symptom of PT LE, and on my MacBook Pro, I can get 3x the plugins running in every other audio app that pro tools.

What I would suggest is:

1. Try your luck

or

2. Run it in Tiger (PT 7.4 works great)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHzPE 2G/500Gb OS X 10.5.1 running pro-tools LE 7.4
I have a 24" iMac w/ 2.8Ghz Pent Extreme, 2g/500G drive having issues with my pro-tools le 7.4 running. I downgraded from the 10.5.2 that came pre-installed to 10.5 with the sent installer disc, then found the 10.5.1 upgrade at apple.com. My system gives me a read out that i do not have enough CPU memory? Any one have any ideas? hopefully the next post isn't about that very thing lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Version 7.4.1 is an update which will work with X.5.1 BUT NOT X.5.2. Appears still a lot of work to be done

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.