Can't install Mac OS 9.2...please help

Reaction score
I recently purchased a g3 800 mhz ibook that had mac os 10.3 installed on it.
Before I get into my dilema let me explain what i am trying to accomplish. i am primarialy a PC user but have been a huge fan of the journeyman project games. I won an auction on ebay for Journeyman Project pegasus prime. So I bought my ibook, and was very excited.

Well needless to say running pegasus prime didn't work under os x. So I won another action for the retail CD of mac os 9.2.1. That won't install under the classic enviornment because it states that the installer can't run.

After doing some research I see that only mac os 9.2.2 will run on this ibook. Is there any way to get this cd to get installed after downloading the updates or what? I am kinda lost as this is my first real mac use in years.

Is there a guide to intergrate the 9.2.2 update into the install off the cd?

Also The ibook has a cd burner/DVD combo. Unfortunatly the system did not come with the installation cd's. That is why I purchased 9.2.1 off of ebay, and have been scoping out copies of 10.3.9 to buy as well. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but by the end of last night I was so frustrated with this thing I just had to walk away.

I checked my model on apple support and it states it supports os 9.2.2, so I know I can run it. I also have been looking at emulators for the mac to see if I can get 9.2.1 to run on them, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I guess I understand why apple made certain cd's only work with certain systems, but I do not understand why their classic enviornment doesn't emulate everything.

Thanks in advance for you help on this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't bother with emulators if you do manage to get OS 9 installed. VPC and SoftWindows are oh so s-l-o-w to be useless for gaming.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe your system is one of those that can still boot into OS 9. If you OS 9.2.1 media is bootable. Then boot from the media by inserting it and booting your system, while holding down the c key. Once your system has booted you should be able to install the OS 9.2.1. When you have completed the process then upgrade to 9.2.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.