disk image disappeared with my data-- *sob*

Reaction score
I created an encrypted hidden virtual disc with a file name starting with a dot (.filename.dmg) to store some private data. I was able to mount it perfectly with Disk Utility and transfered all my files to it AND DELETED THE ORIGINALS, OF COURSE.

Then I decided that I wanted to give it a different name. I wasn't able to figure out how to rename it, so I decided to create a new disk image, also with a name starting with dot, and move my files to that one and then delete the original. I created the new one and mounted it, and from that moment the original disk image stopped showing up in Finder when I mounted it. Disk Utility showed it as successfully mounted, but I couldn't access it through the Finder and I couldn't figure out any way to get to the documents inside it.

What's worse, I then somehow accidentally dragged it out of Disk Utility, and now I can't locate it anywhere. I don't know if it has been deleted and all my important documents with it, or if it's still there but inaccessible. I definitely didn't give any command to delete it, as far as I know. Is there some way to get a list of the disk images that exist on the drive and access the documents inside them? I would be so grateful for any guidance in retrieving my data. Thank you in advance.

gc

I just found the command to show all files, and my disk image is still there. I tried mounting it and it shows in Disk Utility again, but still does not show at all in Finder, so I still can't get to the files it contains. At least I know it isn't gone, but I still can't get inside it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I have no magic bullet. Do you have Applecare as they may be of service here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.