Incompatible Security Conncetion

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
May I ask why you're bothering with WEP in the first place? WEP is an antiquated wireless security standard that is proven to be very hackable. It can be broken in mere minutes with readily available tools.

WPA long ago supplanted WEP and is a much stronger and easier to use encryption method. If your router supports it, I would recommend switching over to it.

Reaction score
I am a new MacBook user as of yesterday and have not been able to get an internet connection yet.

I am using a Netgear WGR615 v5 router. My network is set up but when I type in my password I get an Incompatible Security connection message.

On my Mac to log into my network it says I need a WEP Password. I am using the same one that logs me into Netgear. If I was using the wrong password where is it that I would have set my WEP Password. The day is a blur...

The message I get says it could be incorrect password, wrong network name or wrong type of wireless security.

Could anyone share some light on what I can do to correct this. Thank you.

Mary

Mary.

I just had the same issue as you did. To resolve it, you need to delete the old cert that OS X saves under the "Keychain Access" utility. To get there: Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Keychain Access

Before you delete the key, make sure you have your WEP, WPA, whatever password or hex key written down. Once you've deleted it, you'll be able to reconnect to your router with no problem

Reaction score
Hi, i'm having problems with my 1Ghz Powerbook G4. We've just got our wireless internet sorted. My Mac doesn't have built in WiFi, so i borrowed my housemates dongle. It works fine on his pc. When i put in in my mac, it recognises the single and then comes up with the connection screen. I type in my 10 digit wep key where it says, and then click connect and nothing happens, it just says disconnected on the status, though it recognises the signal etc no problems. The key is DEFINITELY right, but when i go back into it, it has removed the two Zero's that are in the key (the 5th & 9th characters). And no, they aren't supposed to be O's... deffo 0's. If i click on peer-to-peer, it says connected but then says invalid wep key. i don't even know what p2p is but i don't think it's the one im supposed to pick. Can anyone think of anything i can do to get this baby on the interweb. Im just using the ethernet cable atm, but even that doesnt work properly, it only works if you hold the cable up... but i have 2 cables... they're both the same.. i presume its the port. Any help and i'll be your bestest friend. :) x

Reaction score
Same problem

I too have the same problem. I can connect to my wireless network without a problem but when i setup a WEP hex password it always says "incompatible security" when i try to connect. I have an old linksys WAP 11 router, i know its a POS but I should still be able to set up a WEP password right? Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.