can't drag files

Reaction score
Yeahh well I just got a new iMac, sometimes I try and drag and drop files and it doesn't work. I'll, click the file(s), hold the mouse and try and drag it somewhere. Sometimes it works and I can drag it, however most of the time it just does not drag. Someone help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
are you clicking directly on the file name or icon? If you click in the open space to the right it will not work...

If the problem is more than this, then you'll need someone smarter than me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
are they copying somewhere else or are they just not moving at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Check your mouse settings in System Preferences:Keyboard & Mouse

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Hey Ryan, welcome to the forum. Could be many problems. What I'm guessing is that when dragging doesn't work, you are trying to drag files from application dialog boxes. For example, if you open Word then click File...Open, you will be able to see files as if in Finder. But you will not be able to drag files within that box. Dragging files should always work within Finder or on the Desktop. It's not based on mouse settings.
You could have a mouse button problem too; maybe it's not clicking all the time?
If my answer doesn't seem right, give me some more information: What are you trying to do when it doesn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You could have a mouse button problem too; maybe it's not clicking all the time?
If my answer doesn't seem right, give me some more information: What are you trying to do when it doesn't work?

My guess is that this is the issue AND you are using a Mighty Mouse? I had this problem all the time with the Mighty Mouse when I first got my Mac - one of the main reasons I got a different mouse. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I found it nearly impossible to drag a file from one side of the screen to the other using the (not very) Mighty Mouse.

What kept happening is that I would inevitably release the mouse button while trying to drag. This is because I have a wide screen and in order to move from one side to the other on a small mouse pad, I had to pick up and reposition the mouse, mid move. I found it nearly impossible to keep the mouse button clicked while picking up and repositioning the Mighty Mouse. I can do this just fine on pretty much every other mouse, just not Mighty Mouse, due to its ...ahem... unique design.

Could this be your problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.