Media Eject Key stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
These are pretty minor, but whatev.

after upgrading to 10.4, my media eject key stopped working, on both my work and home computers. anyone else encounter this? anyway to fix it?

also, in indesign, the key command for "update incopy story" is Command+F5. when i upgraded to 10.4, the key command for "Voice Over On/Off" for the system is also Command+F5. now i cant use the key command in indesign and this has slowed my productivity down quite a bit. is there any way to override the Voice Over command? thanks in advance.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you talking about the Eject key to eject a CD/DVD? Did you install all the updates in Tiger? If so, they put a delay on the Eject key to prevent an accidental eject. Hold the key for 1-2 seconds and you should see the eject symbol on the screen.

On your other issue, open System Preferences and keyboard & Mouse. Click the Keyboard Shortcuts tab and look for your Command+F5 Turn VoiceOver Off/On. Uncheck it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yeah that delay thing was quite annoying, but it does help when you accidently push it and then are pleased to find out nothing is coming out.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HA! yeah it works if you hold it down longer, DUH! thanks for that. i'll try the other thing here in a little bit. thanks again.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nice, the F5 thing works now too. man, im glad i joined this forum. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.