Adding second internal DVD/CD burner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey there,

so i recentely decided instead of getting a new mac, i'm gonna have some fun and run my current mac into the ground and trick it out as much as possible for as cheap as possible. (power mac g4 733, 10.4.11, 1.5g ram, 60 + 250 g internal hd, superdrive - the o.g. and internal zip.) since my internal zip hasnt worked for over 5 years and my superdrive only burns at 1x, i want to take out the zip and add a second faster burner. is this fairly easy to do? they are really cheap right now. any suggestions on which brand would be the best? ay help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get say a Pioneer 115D 20X DL burner and install in place of your current burner. It will be recognized as native. Set the jumpers on your old superdrive to slave and remove Zip, replacing with slave burner.

As you have a Quicksilver you may have to modify the face plate to get the CD tray to open, as there will be no built in button. Use the slave to read DVD/CD's and the new drive for all your burning.

Also updated to Toast 8.0.3 which screams compared to version 7.

Have you thought of going the whole hog and installing a CPU card to handle Leopard? Can thoroughly recommend OWC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the enclosure underneath the internal DVD is designed to slot a zip drive in to (smaller)

You may have to rig up some sort of casing to support the bigger DVD burner

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hmm....i'll do some more research about the size factor. btw, i think mine is a Digital Audio, not a quicksilver if this makes any difference. thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No difference mcjacksonnelson, very similar machines.. Have you checked to see if the Zip drive is connected to the IDE and power cables? Iomega have drivers on their website. Having said that with CD/DVD burners, zips are reaqlly a thing of the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.