• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MS offers to buy Yahoo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You beat me to it by a whisker.

If the borg buys Yahoo, it's a pretty big deal - not sure if anyone has really grasped what this means yet.

Firstly it gives the combined entity 35% or so of the search engine market, which is still way behind Google, but at least it becomes significant. But additionally it gives a lot of control around advertising, particularly when you think about how the OS integration could be leveraged to force more ads down people's throats.

$46bn is a lot of cash though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You beat me to it by a whisker.

If the borg buys Yahoo, it's a pretty big deal - not sure if anyone has really grasped what this means yet.

Firstly it gives the combined entity 35% or so of the search engine market, which is still way behind Google, but at least it becomes significant. But additionally it gives a lot of control around advertising, particularly when you think about how the OS integration could be leveraged to force more ads down people's throats.

$46bn is a lot of cash though.

Yahoo has their fingers in other things, like namely flickr. I don't know how good or how bad this will be. There's already a thread in one of the larger groups on flickr about how the sky is falling. If they keep things without charging for the free services or raising the price on pre-exsisting services, then I don't think it could be too terribly bad.

In fact, I think that they may try and add some features, but they might not try and do too much to certain aspects of Yahoo to minimize disruptions. A lot of small businesses host their sites and shopping carts through Yahoo. I could imagine that they would rather collect the revenue rather than lose the customers.

The only thing I would want for them to keep the same is the development of apps for certain sites for other OS'es than MS. Flickr has the Downloader that's usable on MS, OS X, and Linux iirc.

I don't think they'd do too much to flickr since they have a ton of paying users.

Some one also mentioned that possible integration into the MS passport system might be a direction they would head in. Flickr was a seperate entity from yahoo, and then when they were bought, the flickr user profiles and id's got rolled into Yahoo ID's. I'm with him thinking that that may be the case with Yahoo ID's to MS passport ID's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
WHOA! Microsoft bids $44.6 billion to buy Yahoo!!

Just read this in Yahoo News...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080201/bs_nm/microsoft_dc_12

Microsoft Corp made a bid to buy Yahoo Inc for $44.6 billion, seeking to join forces against Google Inc in what would be the biggest Internet deal since the Time Warner- AOL merger.

In its boldest-ever acquisition move, Microsoft sent a letter to Yahoo's board on Thursday night to offer $31 per share in cash and stock, a 62 percent premium over the Internet media company's Nasdaq closing stock price that day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Wooo what would happen with MSN and yahoo messenger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just see this as yet another opportunity for MS to drive a huge wedge into cross-platform compatibility. Just look at Office 2008 for Mac. From what I've read, it sounds like it has the biggest feature disparity yet between it and the Windows version by dropping or not including some key features. I'm sure they are going to try to leverage Yahoo's services to make them Mac unfriendly in one way or another.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
one company who's products and services i never use (except for a free flickr acount i'm not very attached to) bought by one i only use when forced.

meh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
This might affect the iPhone. Apple has made a very strong partnership with Yahoo for the iPhone. In tiger, the Weather Widget, Stock Widget, and various others had internet data from Google. With iPhone, that all changed to Yahoo. Perhaps they will go back to Google?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
With iPhone, that all changed to Yahoo. Perhaps they will go back to Google?
I hope so.

Aside from that, the day M$ buys Yahoo, will be the same day I dump ATT|Yahoo as my ISP. It will be back to cable internet for me.

Reaction score
Looks like BSOD will become BSODY, the Y being for yahoo.

Oh well,
I get my revenge on microsoft.
You see, my wireless mouse is out of batteries, so i have to use a microsoft branded one. eek.
Its very cheap.

And i get my revenge on microsoft by eating greasy foods and then touching the mouse without wiping my hands :D something i would normally do with my good mouse.

LOL,
im such a slob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, looks like it may not happen anyway. Yahoo has rejected the bid. The funny thing is, one reason they listed was that the $31 per share offer "seriously undervalues" Yahoo's value. The only reason they're above $20 now was because of the excitement over MS buying them out!! If you have Yahoo stock, get set to sell ASAP, because it's probably going to head back down on Monday.

I'm still not sure what all the anti-trust talk was about. MS and Yahoo's products are completely different, and Google owns more than 50% of the internet market anyway. What's even more odd is that some people who complained about anti-trust issues also said Google should buy Yahoo!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Oh well, not like I really depend on Yahoo for anything anyway.

Yahoo was great back in 1998, when I first got on the internet on my Mom's Performa 5200CD, now, it just has the über busy Microsoft look to it anyway.

I'll stick with my beloved Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Yahoo turns down bid! Yahoo turns down bid! Upset of the century!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Don't be so fast. Most business publications are saying Yahoo only turned it down because they want MS to offer more.

It's not over yet folks, not to mention MS could also go directly to the shareholders and try a hostile takeover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
True, if Yahoo goes back down to ~$20 where it was before the offer, MS could tender an offer to the shareholders and takeover anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read in one article that MS wants Yahoo to have access to some very talented people on Yahoo's staff. I found that rather curious. If these people are so talented, why not just hire them out from Yahoo instead for far less?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.