Budget HTML Editor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there.

I have had a mac for a few months now and I want to start migrating a bit of my web development work I do over from Windows to my Mac.

I currently only work in Visual Studio. I can't leave the world of .NET but I want to be able to do some HTML, XML, XHTML and JavaScript (all the front end stuff) work on my Mac.

I have chosen CSSEdit as a CSS editor as it looks light weight and well designed. Is there a HTML/XHTML/JavaScript editor with similar features at a similar price?

I really want something that will have a function that allows me to quickly preview my code, changes the colour of my code depending on what it is (i.e changes my comments to a green colour or something), validates my code (well it doesn't need to validate it but sending it to W3C to get checked out would be cool) and has a design view mode.

What I really don't want is a bloated application that also rewrites my code by adding in its own meta tags.

I have tried to use Smultron and while it is good I like features like quick preview and I tend to work on several pages at a time (and there is no design view). I have also tried NVu but didn't get on with it as it kept crashing and didn't look very nice.

I also want an editor that has a mac look and feel to it sort of like CSSEdit.

Anyone know of any good software for those on a budget?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
There is Taco!!!! I like Tacos.... yummy :D

No, really: http://tacosw.com/

And KompoZer

or maybe Arachnophilia?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Coda? Maybe Studio from Aptana, but it Mac feel may be questionable.

Reaction score
For CSS, StyleMaster.
For html there are lots of cheap and/or free ones out there. I use Nvu and have never had problems with it. (BTW: KompoZer is the latest incarnation of Nvu)
Check macupdate.com for more.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Thanks for the help.

I'll check those apps out.

Reaction score
I'll second Coda, especially if you're already using CSS Edit. They're created by the same people and if you like CSS Edit, you'll easily love Coda.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.