• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I have to confess...

Reaction score
Alright well, I am taking an R&D class and we have to research, design, and build something and the only thing I could think (that would suit my personality) was to build an HTPC... Yes I am building a windows computer and I do feel really guilty about it. I honestly wish this class would have never came about, or at least this idea, becuase I would in turn be using a mini in this new computers place.

All I am saying is, please dont hate me too much and I hope I dont see TOO many BSOD.

praise the lord (whoever that may be)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure none of us, or at least most of us, don't mind you building a Windows based PC.
Why do you feel so guilty about it? It's just a computer. It's not like your drop kicking babies out the window or something...

... or are you? Can I join?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I use windows PC. One of my favorite computers runs Vista and I play games on it. The only people that hate you or would physically cringe at the fact of building and using a non Apple computer would most likely be known as a fanatic.

Normal people could care less. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Yeah its all up to your personal preference and need. Though I still like my Mac better :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
well... you could buy an iMac or a mini... take it apart and than put it back together again! lol

OP
appleisgreat
Reaction score
well... you could buy an iMac or a mini... take it apart and than put it back together again! lol

Funny thing is, I actually thought about doing that with a mini, or an xbox 360 and putting the components into a seperate case.

And i dont really feel that guilty, it just kind of sucks becuase I do not really want to switch back to windows... but, media portal for an HTPC seems pretty slick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
I don't mind. Matter of fact... better you than me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hey, you have to do what you have to do. I love OSX but build PC's also and have a very nice gaming rig running XP. No normal person would put you down for having to build a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a Windows based HTPC. What's the big deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Not a big deal at all. If I was going to use a computer with a home theater, it would definitely be Windows with Media Center. There's nothing available for OS X that even comes close. Not even Apple's new Apple TV is as good IMHO.

That said, I really wish Apple would come with something more comparable. The new Apple TV is a huge improvement, but still not there.

OP
appleisgreat
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, I would rather use OS X, but in this position, its nearly impossible. I actually can't wait for this computer to be built to start using it... it will never replace my powerbook as a daily driver (for car people, youll get that), but as an HTPC, I think it is going to be great...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Could NOT care less. That always bugs me. Your way doesn't make sense.

and I thought I was the only one who still says "could not..."
*celebrates*

Anyway, no harm at all in using a windows machine. Some things are just better on that. Mac's are great for a lot of things, but they can't simplify everything. If you need to use windows, go for it.

Reaction score
I use PCs all the time, and if they work without problems,they can be great!
I like PCs, i like Macs too, even if i do like my mac a little more. I'm still just as curious about Vista as I am about Leopard, and i'm not ashamed.

When you think about it,

using both windows AND mac, would actually make you seem smarter and more experienced than just using one....like you know a LOT about both Macs and PCs, which is better than just knowing a lot about one.
It's hard to explan, but does anyone understand what i'm trying to say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I use PCs all the time, and if they work without problems,they can be great!
I like PCs, i like Macs too, even if i do like my mac a little more. I'm still just as curious about Vista as I am about Leopard, and i'm not ashamed.

When you think about it,

using both windows AND mac, would actually make you seem smarter and more experienced than just using one....like you know a LOT about both Macs and PCs, which is better than just knowing a lot about one.
It's hard to explan, but does anyone understand what i'm trying to say?

true, it can be an advantage to be knowledgeable about both platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Alright well, I am taking an R&D class and we have to research, design, and build something and the only thing I could think (that would suit my personality) was to build an HTPC... Yes I am building a windows computer and I do feel really guilty about it. I honestly wish this class would have never came about, or at least this idea, becuase I would in turn be using a mini in this new computers place.

All I am saying is, please dont hate me too much and I hope I dont see TOO many BSOD.

praise the lord (whoever that may be)

Why would anyone hate you?

In all my years of using Windows I've never seen a BSOD so unless you're doing something wrong, you probably won't either. There is nothing wrong with Windows, people just have preferences.

BTW, Mac OS X has it's own share of problems....ask anyone using Leopard right now ;)

Anti-Windows type threads are just juvenile IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I don't think anyone on these forums will take offense to you building a windows machine - its just another computer system. It can often be useful too to know both platforms. Thats why I got my iMac as my desktop machine, to have something different to my windows laptop - and thought it might be usual to know how to use Mac OS. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Not to promote WIndows in any sense but being a long time Windows user I know that XP Media Center or any flavour of Vista with Media Center in it is decent HTPC stuff, powerful PVR capabilities, a whack of other features. just sayin I'll never toss my Media Center system......it's a rather pricey but flexible VCR/DVD Recorder replacement. Don't feel bad about having to use WIndows for that and if ya do the driver setup right (latest drivers for all hardware) the chances of a BSOD are slim to none

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.