iMac 20" 2,4Ghz - Poor Image Quality with DVD's + worryingly hot!:(

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have just become an owner of the new 20"iMac (2,4Ghz) and I'm seeking some advise on two, in fact three things that worry me a bit regarding my otherwise beautiful piece of equipment (it's my first Mac).

First thing - when playing DVD's (original, new movies from Blockbuster) the picture is quite grainy, like you were watching one of the first "Friends" episodes on a regular TV(by that I mean a few years old one). It's not pixelated but, well - grainy.

second - after just about 40mins from being turned on the area at the back of monitor/computer on my left hand side gets really warm. Alarmingly warm to me, to be honest.

third issue - although I probably shoudn't even mention that cause I hadn't put much faith in the non-crash-ability(sorry, I know it's not a word) of macs - it's frozen on me four times so far when doing uncomplicated operations like trying to connect to my netgear router, quitting Photoshop(managed to do that, but after wasn't able to shut down the comp other that pressing and holding the on/off button at the back of it.

Should I try to contact Apple and get is serviced or is it just cosmetics that require a little bit of know-how?
I would truly appreciate your opinion
Thanks
Filip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
The heat is normal. The design of the machine acts like a chimney drawing air in and through the machine. Mine is hot too.

How much Ram do you have? I had to get to 3gb before it settled down. Ram is very cheap now.

As for the graininess search around for other threads - the 20" has small issues and is not a "great" monitor. How long have you had it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
DVDs are only at a certain resolution, so they have to be scaled up on a computer monitor. This adding of pixels created graininess. It's the same on any computer monitor.

Blu Ray films don't suffer from this problem because they are filmed in a higher resolution.

OP
F
Reaction score
The heat is normal. The design of the machine acts like a chimney drawing air in and through the machine. Mine is hot too.

How much Ram do you have? I had to get to 3gb before it settled down. Ram is very cheap now.

As for the graininess search around for other threads - the 20" has small issues and is not a "great" monitor. How long have you had it?

Thanks - it's cool now, with the heat:)
I have 1 Gig of RAM only at the moment but will upgrade soon - now, after reading your post, probably sooner(can you recommend anything interesting?). I've had my iMac for 5days now.
I read about 20"iMac having lower quality displays that the 24" but that's all I could afford at the moment.
The DVD doesn't bother me as much though cause I do not watch films on my computer too often anyway.
My main concern is the monitors ability to display colours properly as I do quite a lot of image editing.
Any word on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scan these forums today and you will read mountains about colour being off from side to side and the 20" is a 6 bit display - big issue right there for colour. The 24" have 8 bit and IMO are "better" except for the gloss.

5 days - time for an acting display. If possible can you act up a storm and return the 20 and spend more coin for the 24"? They are accepting returns based on what I am reading and allowing you another machine. Even upping to the 24 will help and the spread is less if you can squeak out a refresh.

More RAM = happier. If colour is your game you are doomed with the 20". An option is to get a Mini DVI to DVI and buy a much nicer screen to hang on the side making it the primary screen.

OP
F
Reaction score
I might try returning it then. I hate all the hassle involved but this is what happens if you don't do enough research, right?
I take it the "exchange" process will take as long as when ordering anew, will it not? Shipment from China, not greatest tracking system. Another three weeks waiting time. **** it.
Or can I try at apple store?

Anyway, thank you very much for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
as for RAM, i just ordered a 512mb RAM for my 733 g4 for $45 from memorytogo.com. suuuper cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refreshed machines are not available at the retail stores but online only. Certainly worth a try. Return the machine and apply the value against a refresh and have them send it to you. Worth the try. Also I suggest buying Applecare as insurance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.