2 Networking Questions

Reaction score
So I have some networking questions.

I am using an old PPC iBook, and my GF and just gotten a Dell laptop with vista. I also have an airport extreme with a couple external hard drives connected via the USB. So on to my two questions.

1. How do I set up the hard drives so she can connect to them wirelessly?(I already can on my mac)?

2. My connect seems to be slow with the hard drives. When I try to upload something I am getting about 500 k/s, where as when its connected directly to the comp I can get 4 Mb/s. Is this what is should be or have I just screwed up the settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks so very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not really familiar with the Airport Extreme, so I'll let somebody else handle that.

As for the connection speeds, it has to do with the fact that wireless transfers a lot slower than a wired connection, even more so when your iBook only has an 802.11b/g connection. If you had a newer Mac with 802.11n, you would see remarkably faster transfer speeds.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know I would be better off if I had the n connection, but I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the most out of my system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.