Mighty mouse and expose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac Intel 2.4, 2 Gigs of RAM
I have a new IMac 2.4 20" and the dang mouse keeps wigging out. When I barely touch the mouse it will start clicking between the screen and expose. I just received my replacement from Apple (The customer service alone is enough to make anyone want to switch from Dell or HP) and the new mouse is doing the same thing. I have to disable the side buttons but you can still hear the mouse clicking like I am pressing the expose buttons. Has anyone ever seen this before? It kinda comes and goes it seems the more I use the mouse the more it does it. I have even tried moving the mouse to one of the other USB ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory, 120GB hard drive
It's not a problem with your mouse - just the way it's configured with the system.

To fix the problem, go into System Preferences. Then select Keyboard & Mouse. Select the heading Mouse. There you'll get a bird's eye view of your Mighty Mouse. There should be four drop-down menus surrounding the mouse.

Select the menu to the bottom of the mouse. This probably already says something like Exposé - Desktop. All you need to do to switch off this function is to select this drop-down menu and change the setting to Off.

This should fix the problem - I had exactly the same thing happen when I got my new Mighty Mouse on my G4 - but doing this helped.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Imac Mouse Clicking Expose Problems

I have this problem as well. Just moved the iMac from one floor to another in my home. Upon restart, the mighty mouse is now clicking incessantly when you move it in any direction and Expose flashes in and out.

I tried shutting off the Expose function on the mouse, i.e., touching both sides of the mouse, and although Expose is disabled, I still get alot of clicking when I touch the sides of the mouse. Did not have this when the iMac was on the other floor in my home.

Plus, I cannot use Expose then? THis is not supposed to happen.
Customer support is not helpful.

This appears to be a common problem with the mightly mouse (see other threads on other websites).

There seems to be some agreement that the outlets may not be grounded properly. I will try that next. Also, everyone that has this problem has agreed that touching the aluminum side of the monitor with your left hand while working the mouse eliminates the problem - - sounds like a grounding problem to me.

Sorry, but your suggestion may eliminate the Expose problem, but it does not resolve the clicking (which is not normal) nor does your solution allow you to use the mouse the way it was intended.

SOMEONE AT APPLE PLEASE HELP!!

P.S. I have a new iMac 24"

Reaction score
has anyone figured out how to fix this? I just bought a new Imac, and my mighty mouse is spazzing! It keeps clicking whenever I touch it, and expose keeps flashing in and out...does it have something to do with the surface it is on? Thanks

Reaction score
now im getting the problem, i have bought a new might mouse thinking it was the problem but obviously not now i have had to turn the sides off and use my keyboard as the expsose, is there a fix for this yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have this problem as well. Just moved the iMac from one floor to another in my home. Upon restart, the mighty mouse is now clicking incessantly when you move it in any direction and Expose flashes in and out.

I tried shutting off the Expose function on the mouse, i.e., touching both sides of the mouse, and although Expose is disabled, I still get alot of clicking when I touch the sides of the mouse. Did not have this when the iMac was on the other floor in my home.

Plus, I cannot use Expose then? THis is not supposed to happen.
Customer support is not helpful.

This appears to be a common problem with the mightly mouse (see other threads on other websites).

There seems to be some agreement that the outlets may not be grounded properly. I will try that next. Also, everyone that has this problem has agreed that touching the aluminum side of the monitor with your left hand while working the mouse eliminates the problem - - sounds like a grounding problem to me.

Sorry, but your suggestion may eliminate the Expose problem, but it does not resolve the clicking (which is not normal) nor does your solution allow you to use the mouse the way it was intended.

SOMEONE AT APPLE PLEASE HELP!!

P.S. I have a new iMac 24"

I too have this problem. You can also, instead of touching the monitor, touch the keyboard with your left hand. This problem sucks. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 24"
I was just having this problem today. As I was trying to reinstall my printer (a whole another issue altogether) and my mouse was going wonky in clicking and the expose window craziness. I checked my system preferences about the expose and adjusted. But mouse still had the annoying clicking noise.

I saw the thread and saw the message about the grounding issue. I have my printer on my desk along with the computer. As soon as I unplugged my printer, no more crazy clicking. My desk is an IKEA metal (Aluminum) top.
My mouse is working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 3.06 GHz Penryn iMac; 20" 2.66 GHz Penryn iMac.
System: 3.06GHz Penryn-Aluminum 24" iMac using OS X version 10.5.5.

Thank God, I'm not crazy. I have the EXACT same problem and could find nothing about it anywhere but here. I finally found this thread after typing the search terms "Expose," "crazy," "Mighty Mouse," etc. Here's what I did (NOTHING worked).

1. Flushed P-RAM.
2. Killed a third-party system utility.
3. Switched to Firefox.
4. Re-booted, re-booted, re-booted.

Is this really an electrical ground problem? I've been planning to install isolated ground outlets in all my electronics, music, and audio applications areas. Thank God, I'm not crazy. This is driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Its the mighty mouse. A static thingy problem.

A friend of mine tried many things, in the end he had to move the mac to another room. Try this, see if by touching the side of the iMac, or under it where the ram compartment is, and see if that solves the problem. If so then yes, you should consider moving it.

If you cant seem to solve the problem i suggest you getting a new mouse, one with a couple more buttons to use expose if you like it.

I have a Logitech MX518, with 2 side buttons, one for all windows, the other for spaces. I couldn't be any happier.

Reaction score
Omaha Apple Store is full of BS

We have one of the new Aluminum iMac's and have/had the same problem. I have one of the older iMac's (before the aluminum) and have had no problems.

We moved the offending iMac to multiple rooms and it continued to cause problems. My wife pretty much stopped using it for a while. I recently took it to the genius bar to have them check it out for a second time. Once again, they couldn't reproduce the problem. I agreed to leave the iMac with them for 48 hours to check it out. 5 minutes after leaving the store, the "Genius" called me back to tell me that he was 99.9% certain that I had a wiring problem in my house and it was causing a bad ground. I became irate! I immediately went back to the store and talked with the manager about the issue. He felt that the "Genius" was within reason to question the wiring in my house because this one computer wouldn't work properly in it.

I immediately got the iMac back and let the manager know that he was an idiot and for future reference, he shouldn't allow the "Genius's" to suggest faulty electrical wiring at a residence after a 5 minute in store assessment.
In short, don't buy from the Omaha Apple Store.

To fix the problem ....
Not sure, so far putting some rubber under the base of the iMac seems to be fixing the problem but, only time will tell.

Reaction score
Might Mouse Issue Resolved

We have the newest mac tower which came with the mouse. I started having the same issues everyone else said about the multiple clicking. I tried disabling the Expose on every button but it would still do it. The answer?

Well as I read the posts I noticed that a few resolved it by disconnecting a printer. My mouse was working fine until today and I tried to think what changed from previous days. Well, I had purchased a iPhone charger from CVS and was charging my phone on my desk. That was it. I disconnected the phone charger and WHALA! No more multiple clicking. If any one is having this issue, try to trace your steps if you suddenly are having problems and it seems that certain electrical issues will make the mouse bug out.

I am taking the charger back and buying a better charger from Fryes or Apple.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
i had to register to say

someone's comments made me think of something. i was having the same problem a few minutes ago.

i put my cell phone away from my imac and the problem seems to have slowed down significantly. it was going non stop for the last 30 minutes and slowed down a lot when i did this. i also put my external hard drive away from the desk. seems to have helped a bit.

can we get a real explanation please? this is incredibly annoying.

Reaction score
Apple Mouse Crazy Clicking

From researching I believe the problem to be something else plugged in on your desktop that messes with the mouse. Printer, cell phone, etc. Sometimes if I am charging my macbook it does it - I unplug it - mouse is fine.

Notice if you put your hand on the back of the screen or monitor it stops....very strange.

This is a temporary fix, unplugging other items and such, but hopefully Apple addresses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.