Nano 3rd gen, video now? With 4gb? How does that work?

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, im curious about the 3rd gen Nanos. Although i'm not exactly much of a fan, i seem to be coming around. But the thing I can't really figure out, is VIDEO on a puny 4GB?! How? Are movies downloaded from the iTunes store compressed like a billion times, like a paper oragami Shuffle? lol.
But really, i'm not sure i'm sold on getting one of these....at least not yet. Maybe the video would be nice when i'm watching some short videos of myself and my weirdo gang of weirdos shot with my S5.

Can someone tell me how the video thing works?
Do you have TV shows? Movies even?
After all that, how much is left for Music?!
If i were to buy one i'm not sure I would shell out the extra $$ for the 8gb one, i don't really know how much they are, but if i'm going to pay the extra money for video anyway I might as well go with Classic.

so 3rd gen nano.
Comments?
Suggestions?
Like it?
Hate it?
Oh, and the best part, is it DURABLE?!
I don't want to revisit the 1st gen Nano thing again.......although I did love it.

Although I would have liked the 3rd gen case to be like the 2nd gen, ALL aluminum. Although I don't know what im talking about in the end.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
A single TV episode running 45 mins or so, usually weighs in a about 500MB. Most files are between a gig and 1.5gigs. So there is plenty of room to slap in 2 films and still have room for 15 - 20 albums, even on the 4 gig.

Even so, you don't HAVE to load it up with video. I quite like them and am thinking of getting one for my wife for Valentine's day, because her 3G white iPod struggles to hold its charge now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Dude, I don't know what sort of compression you're using, but my normal 45 minute TV shows are around 350MB. Once converted for iPhone use, they were a bit smaller. Converted for the small screen of the Nano, I wouldn't be surprised if the file size could be dropped to somewhere in the range of 250 to 300MB. And obviously 22 minute shows would be half that size. With movies, when converted for iPhone use, they come out to around 500 to 600MB for a two hour movie, and would probably be a bit less for a Nano.

So 4GB isn't really that bad when you take into account that file sizes aren't that large for such a small screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think the real question is, can you really enjoy watching a video on that thing??? I suppose if it's nothing for Apple to make it happen, then why not. But I don't see myself watch a decent video/movie on anything smaller than my iPhone screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
A 'half hour' sitcom downloaded from iTunes (640x wide) is only about 250 MB. Which to me is excessive. When I compress them myself with ffmpegx, I get 150MB/ea and they look every bit as good.

The screen is small, but the dot pitch is tiny too. It's a very crisp image. Still, an ipod touch is much more suited to watching video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I think the real question is, can you really enjoy watching a video on that thing??? I suppose if it's nothing for Apple to make it happen, then why not. But I don't see myself watch a decent video/movie on anything smaller than my iPhone screen.
With these small gadgets, I have to move the screen closer to my face to really see the screen well. With a nano, you just have to move it closer to your face than you would an iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Well I have the 8GB nano and Ive got a few videos the quilty looks really good coz of the size of the screen any way I like it but if your going to fill it with videos I would go with the classsic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think the Nano's video playing feature is a neat way to share clips with friends and family without having to lug around a laptop. While you can also use it similar to the way you would watch videos on a Classic or Touch, it would get rather annoying to have the screen so close to your face, which others have pointed out.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't buy one just because of the video support, I doubt i would watch videos on it even if i had one, but if i did buy one, could I put videos on it from my PowerShot S5????

And are they very durable?

I'm still a little bit hesitant about buying one because of the silver back and the smaller click wheel, i'd rather have a 2nd gen Nano but I would lose all of the advantages of buying new.
If I do buy one I think it will be a Red one because it's for a good cause.

Thanks for your replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
I have one of the new 4gb iPods and have been quite happy with the durability. The only recommendation I would make is to buy a case for your iPod as I bought mine when they first came out. When they first came out, only case I could buy was direct from Apple. While I waited, I found the back could be easily scratched.

Other than that, the unit is quite solid.

As to the video, I have my MacBook for that right now. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.