• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

nintendo wii and a mac ...niceeeeeee

faz

Reaction score
hey people i wanted a very simple question asked

how do i get my wii working on my mac?

i did a little research and people say go for the elgato hybrid usb device. fair enough i hear it works really well but i dont think im willing to pay £85 for a usb stick for my wii.

i was wondering if something like this would work?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...op_mac/mac_accessories/displays&nplm=M9267G/A

or does anyone know of any cheaper devices that do the same. im not fussed about recording footage i just want to play!

any way i hope u all can help
thanks

faz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That adapter is only for video OUT, not video IN, which is what you need to use the iMac's screen for the Wii.

You're going to need some sort of USB or Firewire device to play the Wii on your iMac. Elgato just happens to make some of the best devices for such a purpose.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, Kash and the other advice you've gotten is correct.
The ElGato devices are the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
No matter what you do you'll probably have a larger-than-normal delay which will make the games unplayable. Just use a real TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that would actually be a problem, but after looking into Elgato's products, it seems as though that delay is no longer an issue with the latest generation of video input devices.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That cable by itself wouldn't let you play the Wii on your iMac. All it does is provide a way for you to connect your Wii via a VGA cable. You would still need some sort of device that lets you input video into the iMac.

There are several products out there that will let you do this, but the only ones that I know for sure will work flawlessly with a video game console are the ones made by Elgato.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I meant by pairing it with another cable...
Such as:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables&nplm=M9320G/A

Would those two together (the VD-W2 VGA and the Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter) work?

Looks like both cables are female....Hard to tell though. If this is true, would those two, plus some sort of adapter, create a connection with no latency?

Elgato seems like it could be perfect...I'm just worried about the "delay of only [a] few milliseconds" (http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/443/).
I'm looking for ZERO delay, if at all possible...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No Mac has a Video Input. That cable is for Output to an external monitor. You need a device that give your Mac a Video Input. You are trying to plug the output of the Mac into the Output of a Wii. It will not work without a video capture device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
yakuza278 said:
I'm looking for ZERO delay, if at all possible...

It is! Hook it up to a real TV. Granted LCD, DLP and Plasmas will still have delays. Go for a CRT. Also remember that Mac Laptops and Cinema Displays are not true widescreen. Their aspect is an odd 16:10 instead of 16:9, so they are less wide than a real TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.