Left side of screen darker than normal

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently, my MBP's screen has been darker on the left side of the screen than the right side. It seems to only show up when I start up, but it doesn't go away for a good 20 minutes on low light, or about 5 minutes when the brightness is at high. It bugs me in general, but I'm also an engineering/design student so I need my screen to stay in good shape. I think it's pretty significant, but you can have your own opinion looking at my pictures. I've owned many laptops but I've never had a screen problem like this before.

I have owned this Macbook Pro since Nov 2006, but I do have the 3 year AppleCare so I could take it to the Apple Store, but I'm afraid it won't show up when they look at it or they won't believe me. (Like that ever happens, right?) Any advice?

(I was thinking about going to the Apple Store anyway because I'm missing the silver "O" in "Pro" on the Macbook Pro logo below the screen. ;P)

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17' MBP 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo, AppleTV 160GB, iPod Classic 80GB, iPhone 8GB
Mine does that on the left side also, but it isn't as bad. It is dark on my right side for the first 10 minutes and the left for 15. I can't decide to drive all the way to a apple store and not have the genius believe me.

Reaction score
I would book it in to an Apple Store, take a few pictures with you in case the screen is working when they check it over.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Take it in to Apple. Sounds like a Backlight issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
So I did take it to the Apple Store and, of course, they couldn't see it, but I showed them the pictures and they believed me and are ordering the part. It's gonna take a week for it to arrive. I'm glad they are doing it, but I wish I didn't live a 2 hour drive from the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
ure on ebay in the lecture hall?? naughty!

OP
M
Reaction score
and craigslist too! lol its a class on how to use Solidworks and I already know how so its just an hour of me surfing the web. If it helps, I was looking for an iBook G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
That's awesome man. I wish I had Wi-Fi on my campus.

Silly community college.

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, I finally got the MBP in the store and...they completely shocked me. I arrived there right when they opened and handed them my MBP. They took it in the back, I signed a paper and left. When I left and looked over the repair sheet, the part, they are replacing, said that it would be a "mbp clamshell." I didn't quite understand at first, but then I began to ponder. Are they replacing the whole top part? Screen and all? (Even the missing "o"?!?!:eek: )

Come to find out: They did!!:D They replaced the whole top "clamshell" under my warranty. I looked at the receipt and almost lost my breath. The part cost $703. Yes, that's correct. 7-0-3. WHOA! Labor was $85. Added together = $788 (and some change). So glad I have the AppleCare warranty. Total savings with AppleCare = $958 (I had to replace a battery.)

Not to start a flame but, I thought I'd put what the description of my problem was, according to the Mac Genius: "Display contrast uneven on right side before one hour warmup, unable to verify issue at bar as customer brought in unit already on. Customer had some photos that are of a quality that makes it difficult to see whether or not issue is there." Umm...ok. I took the photos with my iPhone. (Ironic?:Smirk: ) If they made the camera better on the iPhone, it wouldn't be like that. Couldn't you guys here see the problem?

Before I go, I had a couple questions: Could they have replaced my screen to be one of the newer MBP screens? If so, how can I tell?

Thanks everyone for your help. (And for the record, they don't keep a bag of "o" in the back room with some glue;D )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.