Should i buy 15" MacBook 2.2 instead of..

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post :)

I'm using a pc at home ( amd x2 3800 with geforce 8800gtx )..and i'm using a pc at work(amazing setup)..

Lately, i'm really sick of with my PC at home...dont' know why but i really doesnt want to work with that computer anymore...
I'm a graphics designer, using Photoshop, After Effects and lots of Maya for 3d.
I was considering to buy a macbook pro(at least it can change my life a bit :p) and i can take it with me anywhere i go..
but i've questions...
First, i've money to buy core2duo 2.2ghz 15" model. Is it faster than my amd x2 3800 ? I know graphics card wont even be close with my 8800 but i dont play games with my pc(xbox 360:p )

I heard some problems with macbook pros lately..now i want to ask about them. People says that macbook pros have very very bad heating issues that you can cook an egg on it...is it really that bad?
And yet again people says that there is a whizzy sound coming under the keyboard when you don't set brightness maximum..
Should i buy it ? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I can't comment on how well the MBP will perform for your applications compared to the AMD, but the MBP does run hot. Mine runs @ 48-50C when idling (web surfing, iTunes, emails...) and it can go up to ~70-75C when doing heavy video editing. I also convert videos for my apple tv and the temperature runs around 65-68C.

As you can see, the MBP runs hotter than another PC, but keep in mind that the MBP uses a passive cooling (there are no vents/fans under the MBP). At first, I was concerned with temperature and heat, but you quickly realize that's the way it's supposed to run.

I haven't notice a "whizzy sound" under the keyboard!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
So macbook pro should doesnt have any noise right ?

Mine doesn't ... I'm not saying it couldn't happen! The only noise I hear is the hard drive, but that's only when moving files (ex. movies...) and keep in mind that the hard drive is very close to the keyboard lid, so hearing it sometimes is not unusual I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
Mine is neither hot or loud. I've read that the 7200 RPM disk drive runs a lot cooler - that is what I have.

Reaction score
As far a heat Goes you could get a laptop cooling base station. Its Not that effective 5* - 10*F cooler on the Processor. But This will not solve your problem when you are on the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Core 2 Duo will run circles around that AMD X2 3800 (I know, I had one), my friends C2D 2.16 utterly destroyed my AMD X2 3800 (even after I clocked it up to 3.1ghz).

If you arent running games, the differences are not as drastic, but still... overall the C2D is a much snappier processor and handles more than the X2 can (thanks to the more than double L2 Cache).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have just bought a MacBook Pro. I do not notice that it gets particularly warm at all. I think the complaints about really hot MacBook Pros must have been from an earlier internal design than what Apple is using now.

Also, it is very, very quiet. Now and then when I am charging the battery, I will hear the fans kick up a notch - a very gentle whirring noise. Other than that is nearly perfectly silent.

Reaction score
. As you can see, the MBP runs hotter than another PC, but keep in mind that the MBP uses a passive cooling (there are no vents/fans under the MBP). At first, I was concerned with temperature and heat, but you quickly realize that's the way it's supposed to run.

I haven't notice a "whizzy sound" under the keyboard!?!?

Passive cooling? No vents? No fans? This sounds rather odd since iStat pro is currently showing two fans spinning at about 2000 rpm on my MBP. True, there are no vents 'under' the MBP, but there is one running most of the length on the backside. I think one thing that a lot of people are forgetting is that aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat and will naturally feel hotter on the outside than one encased in plastic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.