Re-Installing OS X

Reaction score
Hello, all -

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse me if this question is silly or if it was already answered. I watched the video of Steve Jobs introducing the new MacBook Air, which looks really nice. However, I noticed that it won't be including a built-in DVD ROM drive.

My question is: How would you re-install OS X if the hard drive becomes corrupted? I know the MacBook Air will be designed to hook up to another computer's DVD ROM somehow, but how can it do that if OS X is kaput? And what happens if you don't have another computer? :Confused:
TIA
Juan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.2Ghz C2D 1GB RAM 120GB HDD 8x Superdrive
then you would have to buy an external drive or the external superdrive by apple for $99 which i still think should of been included with that overpriced laptop of $1799

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't know this for sure, but I'm thinking the feature might be a part of the Macbook Air's restore discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I don't know this for sure, but I'm thinking the feature might be a part of the Macbook Air's restore discs.

Yes, the MBA's restore disks include software that allow you to use another Mac or PC's optical drive to reinstall the OS on a networked MBA. Or you could use the external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm not a techie by any means, so I don't know if this sounds right, but I read somewhere you can enable the wifi at the BIOS level and access another computer's drive, so even if OS X dies, you can still boot from the Leopard disc and restore.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, the MBA's restore disks include software that allow you to use another Mac or PC's optical drive to reinstall the OS on a networked MBA. Or you could use the external drive.

Thanks for your inputs. I think the only viable solution is to purchase an external drive and hope the BIOS recognizes it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.