Backup your supplied Leopard restore DVDs to hard disk (bootable)

Reaction score
Hey I found this post:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54975

Which shows you how to backup your *Tiger* restore DVDs to a disk/partition in order that you may boot from the disk/partition to which you restored them, treating it as if it were the DVDs supplied with your Mac.

This also works in Leopard (I have a Santa Rosa Macbook). Here is a simplified version:

1/ open terminal and do (pay attention to upper and lower cases!!)

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true

<PRESS RETURN>

2/ open terminal (if you closed it before) and do:

Code:
killall Finder

<PRESS RETURN>

3/ Format a disk/partition with HFS+ extended to 20Gb, and rename it to "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" making sure all upper and lower case letters look the same as here.

4/ Insert the DVD "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" and *RESTORE* it to the partition using Disk Utility

5/ Insert "Mac OS X Install Disc 2" and browse it, then copy over the files/folders *HIGHLIGHTED* below, to the *ROOT* of the partition:

2r2ske0.png

6/ open terminal and do:

Code:
 defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false

<PRESS RETURN>

Code:
killall Finder

<PRESS RETURN>

Job done. You may now boot from this disk/partition and restore your Mac, as if you had the physical DVDs inserted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i always use disc utility to create a a new .cdr with CD Master/Slave, has always worked

???

EDIT: just read the bottom of your post, i see now.

ill leave my post though, could be useful to the Original Post.

OP
M
Reaction score
i always use disc utility to create a a new .cdr with CD Master/Slave, has always worked

???

EDIT: just read the bottom of your post, i see now.

ill leave my post though, could be useful to the Original Post.

The method I have just detailed, works flawlessly without any faffing around. I can see no reason for your method, but then again you haven't explained it particularly well.

Your explanation leaves a lot to the imagination; would you mind expanding?. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.