• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If given a chance, whom would you vote for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Who is your favorite choice as President? ;)

Some of you here are not even eligible to vote. However you could well be a politically opinionated and passionate about politics. Now that the choices for the next president is narrowing down, it would be interesting to know your own favorite?

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
if i was an american i would vote for obama. i just like him for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Of the four choices you've listed, I'd vote for Obama.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
None of the above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Seriously, where is Ron Paul

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's where I'm at. None of them are worthy so it's looking like I will sit this election out.

Vote for the least of all evils or write a vote in - don't sit it out.

Too many people have fought and died for your right to vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Obama's my homeboy. :)

I had someone try to turn me on to Ron Paul because he's so anti-war :) so I read up on him. I don't agree with most of what I had read. A few of the issues gay marriage and abortion he said he'd leave up to the states. That's a cop out. I'd like to know his opinion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I wish. Unfortunately the majority of Americans are way to used to the Government being a huge, all-knowing, all-seeing bureaucracy and are far too afraid to give him a snowball's chance in Hades.

Reaction score
Vote for the least of all evils or write a vote in - don't sit it out.

Too many people have fought and died for your right to vote.

Let's see, vote for someone I despise just for the sake of doing it or waste my time and gas going to write in a person that has a zero percent chance of winning.

No thanks.

I'm not giving my vote away because it's too important. I'm done holding my nose and voting for the lesser of evils. To me that's far more insulting than sitting out the election.

I'm not the only one protesting this way either, I talk to people every day that are sick of the two party system and sick of the DNC and GOP strong arming everyone... then giving us crumby candidates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had someone try to turn me on to Ron Paul because he's so anti-war :) so I read up on him. I don't agree with most of what I had read. A few of the issues gay marriage and abortion he said he'd leave up to the states. That's a cop out. I'd like to know his opinion.

It's actually not a cop-out, it's a throwback to the ideals of the Founding Fathers. They wanted the majority of things that affected our lives on a regular basis to be decided by the states. This huge central government was exactly the type of government they were trying to avoid when they instituted a federal system.

I personally like the idea of having the states decide issues like abortion and drug policy. That way, you can not only more easily sway your local politicians, but you can also have the option of moving to a state whose laws are in line with your ideals. It also gets rid of the stupid abortion debate that the left and right are constantly fighting about. And the best part is that you don't have some right-wing fanatic or some left-wing hippy imposing his/her moral code on the entire country.

Tharmsen, if you're so fed up with the two party system, then why don't you go and do something about it instead of just whining about how the system is so corrupt? It's easy to complain when looking from the outside. If it's really that big of an issue, then get involved, get into the system, for change is best achieved from within.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's see, vote for someone I despise just for the sake of doing it or waste my time and gas going to write in a person that has a zero percent chance of winning.

No thanks.

I'm not giving my vote away because it's too important. I'm done holding my nose and voting for the lesser of evils. To me that's far more insulting than sitting out the election.

I'm not the only one protesting this way either, I talk to people every day that are sick of the two party system and sick of the DNC and GOP strong arming everyone... then giving us crumby candidates.

Right, because total and complete apathy is definitely going to fix that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It's actually not a cop-out, it's a throwback to the ideals of the Founding Fathers. They wanted the majority of things that affected our lives on a regular basis to be decided by the states. This huge central government was exactly the type of government they were trying to avoid when they instituted a federal system.

I personally like the idea of having the states decide issues like abortion and drug policy. That way, you can not only more easily sway your local politicians, but you can also have the option of moving to a state whose laws are in line with your ideals. It also gets rid of the stupid abortion debate that the left and right are constantly fighting about. And the best part is that you don't have some right-wing fanatic or some left-wing hippy imposing his/her moral code on the entire country.

This is true. I'd still like to know what he thinks. If he wants me to vote for him, he'd have to also let us know about how he feels personally on all of the issues. I wouldn't mind if it was up to the states, there are benefits, but I want to know if he's pro or against as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He does state where he stands on most issues. However, the whole point is that it doesn't matter where he stands as it's not HIS decision to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Right, because total and complete apathy is definitely going to fix that.

Well, just because he's opposing the current political system, doesn't means he's apathetic. Refusing to vote doesn't necessarily help, but it doesn't hurt either. I for one don't understand the "vote or die" concept. Choosing to vote or not to vote is also a choice we have all been given as part of our freedom.

I think he's looking at it from a different perspective. Think of countries where there are technically elections, but people are basically forced to vote the same person in every time. I think NK is like that. That's quite an extreme, but I think that's how he sees our situation. I can't say I completely disagree either. I don't care for the party system at all.

Anyway, this whole thread is just another power-keg that will probably explode, so I don't think I'll say any more. I would rather discuss the embarrassingly low voter turnout of our republic that is so highly regarded as a beacon of freedom of people and of choice. There are much better ways to making people more informed and allowing them the opportunity to get out and vote. However, I personally think that would undermine the power held by the political leaders and that is why nothing is done to improve it. I mean, it's never once been discussed by major political figure as far as I know. It's way too easy for candidates to sweep into a large populous, make a bunch of bogus promises to get votes (see Romey's speech in Michcigan about getting jobs back to Detroit) then never think about it again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is true. I'd still like to know what he thinks. If he wants me to vote for him, he'd have to also let us know about how he feels personally on all of the issues. I wouldn't mind if it was up to the states, there are benefits, but I want to know if he's pro or against as well.

As far as abortion goes, I think his website is pretty clear that he is pro-life. On same sex marriage, I have read excerpts of statements he's made that appear to indicate that he is opposed to it. With that said, on both issues, his stance is that it is not the place of the federal government to impose on state's rights in those regards.

So, whether you agree with him or not, it's not like he's taking a stance on either issue. With that said, I believe that you have to make some compromises when choosing a candidate to back - you'll never find one that perfectly matches your sensibilities (JMO).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, just because he's opposing the current political system, doesn't means he's apathetic. Refusing to vote doesn't necessarily help, but it doesn't hurt either. I for one don't understand the "vote or die" concept. Choosing to vote or not to vote is also a choice we have all been given as part of our freedom.

I think he's looking at it from a different perspective. Think of countries where there are technically elections, but people are basically forced to vote the same person in every time. I think NK is like that. That's quite an extreme, but I think that's how he sees our situation. I can't say I completely disagree either. I don't care for the party system at all.

Anyway, this whole thread is just another power-keg that will probably explode, so I don't think I'll say any more. I would rather discuss the embarrassingly low voter turnout of our republic that is so highly regarded as a beacon of freedom of people and of choice. There are much better ways to making people more informed and allowing them the opportunity to get out and vote. However, I personally think that would undermine the power held by the political leaders and that is why nothing is done to improve it. I mean, it's never once been discussed by major political figure as far as I know. It's way too easy for candidates to sweep into a large populous, make a bunch of bogus promises to get votes (see Romey's speech in Michcigan about getting jobs back to Detroit) then never think about it again.

I see your points and agree to some extent. I just feel very strongly that it is better to represent your opinion by voting for something, than to simply allow others to do it for you. JMO...

I totally hate political threads - I have no idea why I threw my hat in this thread. I'm going to shut up now :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.