• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If given a chance, whom would you vote for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think everyone has overlooked the best choice for a presidential team. I would definitely vote for a Stewart/Colbert run at the white house! Stephen Colbert has already shown interest in running. and if Arnold can be Governor of CA with no apparent prior interest in politics, why not Stewart/Colbert?

Reaction score
I am a huge advocate of the two party system. I think people misunderstand it more than anything else.
The Founding Fathers weren't advocates of a 2 party system as they knew it leads to a hugely corrupt political system, much like what we have now.

And the candidates are voted on in the primaries. The DNC and RNC do not pick them for us. People are welcome to vote in whomever they please.
You're kidding, right? How do those names get on the ballots or into the primaries? I'll tell ya how, the DNC and GOP pick the candidates for you by endorsing them. If you run as a Republican or Democrat without GOP/DNC approval you will get no support and thus will have no chance of winning. It is VERY much a "good ole boy" network.

If we can vote into office anyone we please, then tell me when was the last time we had an Independent President?

In 1800 Millard Fillmore was elected as a Whig. In 1804 Franklin Pierce won the Presidency as a Democrat and we've had nothing but Democrats and Republicans ever since.

Reaction score
I think everyone has overlooked the best choice for a presidential team. I would definitely vote for a Stewart/Colbert run at the white house! Stephen Colbert has already shown interest in running. and if Arnold can be Governor of CA with no apparent prior interest in politics, why not Stewart/Colbert?
I think you're on to something! I would rather vote those clowns in vs. the clowns we currently face winning the election.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I'm voting for Barack Obama on Tuesday. I believe in him and his message.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
clinton - i'm not down for 30 years of the same two families in the white house, too monarchic for me.

paul - too conservative

romney - too flippy/floppy, and plays the 'game' too much.

mccain - i like mccain, and i'd love to see a two-party pres/vp situation with him as the vp, and the pres as...

obama. he's my man. smart, statesman-like, good values, seems to wear his heart on his sleeve in a much more reaonable and down to earth way than dean did.
unfortunately, there are a lot of people in this country who will be completely intollerant of someone of african decent in that role. i have a serious fear that somoene will try to 'off' him if he's elected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I agree. I do give Obama a chance, and he'll get my vote most likely, but I truly feel a Republican is likely to win. I just don't see this country voting for an african american for president, at least not yet. We still have a long way to go I think. Hopefully, I'm just being too pessimistic. That's why I want McCain to get the Rep. nod, because he'd be my 2nd choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
The Founding Fathers weren't advocates of a 2 party system as they knew it leads to a hugely corrupt political system, much like what we have now.

You're kidding, right? How do those names get on the ballots or into the primaries? I'll tell ya how, the DNC and GOP pick the candidates for you by endorsing them. If you run as a Republican or Democrat without GOP/DNC approval you will get no support and thus will have no chance of winning. It is VERY much a "good ole boy" network.

If we can vote into office anyone we please, then tell me when was the last time we had an Independent President?

In 1800 Millard Fillmore was elected as a Whig. In 1804 Franklin Pierce won the Presidency as a Democrat and we've had nothing but Democrats and Republicans ever since.

It is irrelevant what the founding fathers 'intended' to make. It does matter what works...and the two-party system works. Very well.

We have plenty of choice within the primaries. For Republicans, we had from Tancredo to Paul...a VERY large portion of the spectrum. For Democrats, we had from Kucinich to...well, I guess Hillary is the most conservative of the bunch.

Tancredo, Paul, and Kucinich didn't have a chance because their ideas are NOT POPULAR, not because they don't have endorsement from the parties. Other than that, the choice was incredibly diverse, both physically and ideologically, this time around. This is the same with independent candidates. Their ideas are generally not that popular. If they were, they would get elected. In addition, they will never get elected because they do not have the political infrastructure available to them. But would you want someone without enough political power to run a successful campaign to be in charge of the government? Probably not.

Independents have always played their role in our system. They inject new ideas into the parties. Ron Paul's idea of smaller government will most likely push the Republican party back towards its small government roots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I am on the edge between Hillary and Barack. I also agree with Dimitri about the african american president. I also think that america in not exactly ready for a female president either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
None of the above

(btw; anyone who believes America isn't ready for a black or woman President doesn't know a thing about America - and or - lives under a rock.)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
btw; anyone who believes America isn't ready for a black or woman President doesn't know a thing about America - and or - lives under a rock.

exactly.

unfortunately a lot of americans live under rocks or in the past.

Reaction score
I, and hope this is true for most americans, don't see it as an issue that the candidate is a women or a different race. People who base there decision on race/gender are just ignorant. I really like Ron Paul, but there is no way he will be able to get the nomination.

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Hillary - not a consensus maker. Will polarize the country. And viewed as too liberal and too intrusive in the lives of citizens.
McCain - Not the same candidate he was a couple of years ago. Now sits on the fence to much. Two years ago, he was viewed as the republican that was not afraid to speak his mind. Now, he is view as another politician who speaks from both sides of his mouth.
Romney - Has painted himself as "the" conservative republican. Thats going nowhere fast these elections after the mess Bush is leaving behind. And unfortunately for him, he is sounding more and more like Bush.
Obama - Still has things to prove, IMO. Can he form a consensus in this country? Is he a strong enough leader to regain the international trust, clout, and respect in addition to the domestic confidence that USA has lost these past 7 years? If he can, he will become the front runner IMO.

Reaction score
Im really interested in the Hillary/Obama race. They really both have a great shot. But I want to see who beats out who. Should be interesting, and well, dare I say, fun to watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
clinton for me. want to see what a woman president would do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's a woman running for president? :Confused:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i almost posted that myself but couldn't bring myself to do it. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
So...I'm pretty sure that I will be writing myself in on the ballot in November. McCain WILL NOT get my vote, period. Same goes for Hillary and Obama. I will vote for Ron Paul in the primary, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
So...I'm pretty sure that I will be writing myself in on the ballot in November. McCain WILL NOT get my vote, period. Same goes for Hillary and Obama. I will vote for Ron Paul in the primary, however.

Seriously? They cover a pretty big area of the political spectrum. What more could you ask? Will you EVER vote again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.