Keyboard Shortcut to go back in finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Hi,

I have a quick question that has been bugging me for a while.
Is there a keystroke to go back/forward in a finder window? I use the forward/back shortcuts in safari mapped to a mouse button all the time and would love to be able to do the same in the finder windows. However, I haven't found a keyboard shortcut that will allow me to do this.
Does one exist, or can one be programmed? Through keyboard shortcuts, or a third party app?

Thanks.

-ST-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Use apple+[ or ]
This shortcut will also work in safari.

Finder will sometimes get confused though if you change views (column view, list view etc.)

Not sure if this could be mapped to a mouse button or not though. If the mouse has its own software for this, then it would seem possible.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Thanks!

My confusion was over the fact that Safari uses command key plus arrow key left/right.

Also didn't see it in the list of keyboard shortcuts.

And yes, I have a logitech MX Revolution, and can use the logitech software to map keystrokes to buttons.

Thanks again,

-ST-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
In Finder I simply use the arrow keys to navigate.

In Safari you can also use DELETE to go Back... and Shift+Delete to go Forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
In Safari, I always use Cmd + Shift + [ or ] to move over tabs.. Don't like having to move over the the arrow keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Steermouse will also let you map mouse buttons to keys on a per-app basis. I must admit I hadn't thought about using the Back function in Finder, I ought to map my Logitech too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
In Finder I simply use the arrow keys to navigate.

In Safari you can also use DELETE to go Back... and Shift+Delete to go Forward.

that's in column view where you can go backwards and forwards with the arrow keys - not in icon or list view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.