Need help with ram. Please

Reaction score
I've got a 24" aluminum imac. It currently has 1gig of ram and things get pretty slow when running Photoshop, lightroom, and itunes at the same time.

I've decided to upgrade to 4 gigs. I'm looking at the newegg site and I can't tell which ram to get. I thought I had the correct one picked then I read the reviews about people putting it in there notebooks. I thought desktop ram was different from laptop ram.

A little help?

Here's the page I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=551&name=Mac-Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Try http://macsales.com (OWC). Just click memory and then choose the type of machine you have and it will tell you what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac Intel 2.4, 2 Gigs of RAM
I up graded my ram through memory giant and it is 1. easy to do 2. it is laptop memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Macsales is considered a reputable company. I've ordered from them once or twice in the past, including ram.

If you go with a local store, buy name brand ram. I'd trust Macsales (Otherworld Computing) to deliver good ram for my Mac, even when it is labeled OWC (Otherworld Computing). I'm not sure I'd trust my local store to sell me ram stamped with their logo.

OP
D
Reaction score
Macsales is considered a reputable company. I've ordered from them once or twice in the past, including ram.

If you go with a local store, buy name brand ram. I'd trust Macsales (Otherworld Computing) to deliver good ram for my Mac, even when it is labeled OWC (Otherworld Computing). I'm not sure I'd trust my local store to sell me ram stamped with their logo.

I think unless they'll price match I'll buy this off newegg. Seems like a good deal to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just make sure ram has 200 pins. Most online stores fail to say this little bit of info. But if it does, and all the rest is right then get it.

But that newegg site seems to be good with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I purchased a 4GB upgrade kit for my MBP and found the RAM to be fine. It even came with color instructions that made the install a snap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.