Parallels XP Boot Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I had a quick search on the forum for a similar issue but couldn't find anything.

The other day, my MBP went to sleep whilst XP was running through Parallels, and for some reason it didn't want to wake up.

After forcing a reboot into Leopard, I opened Parallels but it quit as soon as it launched. I tried again, and during the boot my MBP had a kernel panic and needed to be rebooted.

After rebooting, everything seemed fine in Leopard, but when I try to boot Windows in Parallels, it comes up with:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I then tried restarting into Windows via Boot Camp and it started up and ran normally, which I found a bit strange.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue? Any possible solutions? XP works fine through Boot Camp, and the error only comes up in Parallels. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
I've never had that particular problem however i find that every few months my VM won't boot for one reason or another. I always make a back up of the virtual machine (located in documents-parallels.) Then if I have a problem i just delete the virtual machine that isn't working and replace it with the back up it's really simple.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Thanks for the reply.

I tried deleting the virtual machine and creating a new one (from my Boot Camp partition) but it still comes up with the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.