Power Mac G-5 - Startup & Fan

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, but a long time mac user.

Have a PowerMac G-5 1.8 Ghz that worked fine until last week, when it began to sound like a 747 ready for take off and would freeze and shut down. Diagnosed it as bad hard drive.

I replaced the Hard Drive and reinstalled Tiger (10.4) and then upgraded it to 10.4.11 in order to restore from a backup using Retrospect. Got the restore done, but then kept getting Kernal Panics.

I reinstalled the system again choosing the Archive and Install. That seemed to work and everything came up fine including my programs and data. Then I upgraded the newly reinstalled OS from 10.4 to 10.4.11 and this is where things really went bad.

After this upgrade it never seemed to finish the install of the 10.4.11 combo updater. It won't restart, but sounds like a 747 about to take off (lots of fan noise and and an Apple in the center of the screen).

If I try to start from the System disk (tiger), it starts up but I just get the Apple screen and then it sound like a 747 ready to take off or ready to blow up. The same thing happens with the Leopard install disk, as well as with Disk Warrior.

However, I can start it in Target mode, which I did and then ran disk utilities. It reports everything as fine. Please note that in Target mode it is fairly quiet. Problem is I can't reinstall the system in Target mode, or at least I can't figure out how to.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there something else simple that this could be? I would prefer to keep the computer and get it running but only if this is not hugely expensive, or horribly time consuming. I am open to whatever suggestions or ideas anyone has.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Frown.png

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.