Use a MacBook as a desktop machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

Need some advice... We would like to use a MacBook as a desktop machine in addition to using it as a portable notebook. We currently have a brand new Samsung 22" SyncMaster display to use. I'm assuming we would also need an external keyboard and mouse? (And perhaps a USB 2 external HDD for extra storage.)

Does anyone have their MacBook setup this way? Can you tell me if it works OK? I realize we could purchase an iMac but we really need the MacBook to show and project PowerPoint displays at various locations. Thanks and regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
will work no problems

You will just need a cable for the monitor and choose whether to mirror or extend the desktop for the displays

I would use a keyboard and mouse, its the set-up I intend to use when my old G4 is replaced by a macbook soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
it's totally doable :) it has all the necessary ports and you can actually run the whole thing with the lid closed!!!

If you buy your keyboard and mouse with blue teeth (lol ^^) you can set the machine to wake on demand from them. First plug in your display and get that all set up, then simply go into system preferences and select "Bluetooth" then click "Advanced."

Make sure that the box for allowing bluetooth devices to wake this computer is checked and then connect your keyboard and mouse. put your mac to sleep by shutting the lid and then wiggle the mouse or tapping the keyboard. Theoretically this will wake the mac and you can use it as if it was a desktop, then unplug it all and take it on the road! brilliant see :)

If this doesn't work I can recommend a brilliant program called "insomniaX" for the mac which does pretty much the same thing but for wired peripherals I believe ^^

Give it a go, I've tried this a few times when you have a presentation running repeatedly and you just need it to not sleep xD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have it somewhat setup as a desktop. I have an external monitor and a mouse hooked up to my Macbook, and use both screens and the Macbook's keyboard. But like light said, if I added a keyboard and mirrored the displays, I could effectively be using it as a full desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i do this exact thing, works fine.

fan is a little loud sometimes on the MB, but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Thats how I have mine setup right now. Its powering a 19" widescreen monitor with a Apple Wireless Keyboard and a Logitech VX Revolution. I have a 500gb External HD attached. Haven't had any problems with it, works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I use my macbook as my primary machine, and it works great. When I'm working at my desk, I connect it to a 20" Cinema Display, a bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse.

Reaction score
Looks great. I love Apple displays but why do they have to be so very expensive :Angry:

I have no idea

for the same amount of cash spent on those apple displays, you can buy some really nice ones by samsung, hp, and gateway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
I have the MB connected to a Cinema Display 20", mighty mouse and the new flat keyboard... works like a dream!

They are expensive... but they look so good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz MBP, iPhone 3GS, iPods and other nifty gadgets
I also use a 20" monitor, mouse, laptop stand and accessories on my desktop, and I regularly take the laptop with me when I leave home. As for the Apple cinema displays and their inflated costs, I'd recommend the Dell counterpart for a quality 20" monitor. My FPW2005 ($120 used) is the perfect addition to my MBP's real estate. Also a good comparison article can be found here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
bump for the MacBook pro. Mines hooked up to a 32 inch toshiba TV and a Logitech surround system. Apple mouse and keyboard. Blutooth.
Rather this setup than a desktop of any day. Except for maybe a Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.