BUG?? Desktop wallpaper & Screen Saver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with 30" ACD, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD (more to come), Airport and Btooth EDR
Under OS X 10.3.5 try the following:

1: Open system preferences then Desktop & Screen Saver preferences.
2: Set the screen saver to computer name and close system prefs
3: Ctrl+click on your desktop (or right click) and go to "Change Desktop Wallpaper"
menu.jpg

4: What is the result?

When i do that it opens the desktop and screen saver preferences page but as the last section i viewed was the screen saver it defaults to there, NOT the desktop section. It then pops up an open file dialogue box and clicking cancel then messes up the Computer Name screen saver and changes it's icon!

screensaverbug.jpg

Ideas anyone, am i alone on this one? If so suggestions would be nice, i now can't choose 'computer name' as the screen saver it keeps popping up an open file window. Need to trash some plist somewhere? I've done a restart and that sets it back to normal, repaired all permissions, etc but it still happens every time, but only if the screensaver pane was last opened. If desktop pane was the last one opened there is no prob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
scoopz said:
When i do that it opens the desktop and screen saver preferences page but as the last section i viewed was the screen saver it defaults to there, NOT the desktop section.

Yea thats normal. :)

M

m1k

I tried it, and yes, it does appear to be a bug. But when I close system prefs and reopen it everything's back to normal. My suggestion: don't change the screensaver to the comp name. Change it to flurries or something more colorful.

A bug in OS X has finally been found, it must be the end of the world!!!

OP
scoopz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with 30" ACD, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD (more to come), Airport and Btooth EDR
m1k said:
A bug in OS X has finally been found, it must be the end of the world!!!
Well I'm proud that's the second bug i've found in the year I've been an apple user, the other one i posted on here a long time back about Mail App bug but that was resolved in a software update.

I'm off to post a bug report to apple before the sky falls in and the world ends, doubt they'll ever fix that before Tiger is released though. Let's be honest, compared to the problems with other top brand OS's the number and severity of bugs in OS X is minimal.

Been just over a year since i bought my first apple, a second hand cube of a friend. It's servered its purpose well and been upgraded as much as possible so Dual 2.5GHz G5 coming soon :p and i'll never look back (even if i wanted to i wouldn't be able to see though the filthy windows!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.