Im converted :-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24"
Hi Guys

I have been an avid PC user ever since they were invented, i teach PC computer concepts and applications for a living.

Recently i purchased a Imac and it took me a week to be completely converted!! why cant windows be so hassle free ;D

I have bootcamp plus Parrelells running with vista and its awesome when i have to use windows (Yuk) lol

Just one question please.. everytime i install an application it asks for a password could someone tell me how i can turn this off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly - welcome ;D

You cannot turn that off and you should not want to.

Since the OS is based on UNix, you have to have administrator privileges to install apps.

The password thing also makes it very difficult for viruses and trojans to install, since you would suddenly get an unexpected admin password request as the virus tried to install

It goes some of the way to explain why malware is almost non existent on macs, they need your password to install

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24"
Thanks for your help

The only reason i want this turned off is because everytime i start Parrellels i have to type in a password which is odd because im not installing just opening.

Ah well i will just have to live with it i guess

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I don't see why someone carnt like there mac ;) lolz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only reason i want this turned off is because everytime i start Parrellels i have to type in a password which is odd because im not installing just opening.

That doesn't sound right. Did you install Parallels via a CD or a download? What is the exact popup screen saying when it is asking for a password?

Reaction score
That is correct. It needs the password so it can gain root level permissions to his bootcamp partition. VMware Fusion does the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I believe that you can actually change whether or not you want to enter a password every time you either install a program or change a critical setting parameter on your OS, but I would not recommend that you do so. By requiring that the system ask for your password, you are in effect confirming and providing authorization to critical changes to your computer. You have direct control over that process.

UNIX based Mac OS X is nice, isn't it?... ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That is correct. It needs the password so it can gain root level permissions to his bootcamp partition. VMware Fusion does the same.
That is different from how I run Parallels. I use disk images, not boot camp. A password is not required for me. I'm running version 2.5.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24"
That is different from how I run Parallels. I use disk images, not boot camp. A password is not required for me. I'm running version 2.5.

Oh ok so obviously if you use a disk image opposed to bootcamp a password isnt required. Oh well i prefer bootcamp so everything is connected e.g i can install games etc via parrallels and reboot to play them in bootcamp if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oh ok so obviously if you use a disk image opposed to bootcamp a password isnt required. Oh well i prefer bootcamp so everything is connected e.g i can install games etc via parrallels and reboot to play them in bootcamp if needed.

Don't you need 2 licenses to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course you dont, its the same operating system on one computer.

If you install Windows on a 'real' machine and a 'virtual' machine (even if physically the same computer), the software asks you to activate it separately, because it thinks its been installed on two separate machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you install Windows on a 'real' machine and a 'virtual' machine (even if physically the same computer), the software asks you to activate it separately, because it thinks its been installed on two separate machines.

You don't 'install' it twice.

You install it in boot camp. Parallels just recognizes this and gives you access to it. One copy of Windows. One install. Two ways of accessing it.

mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't 'install' it twice.

You install it in boot camp. Parallels just recognizes this and gives you access to it. One copy of Windows. One install. Two ways of accessing it.

mrplow

I know that, it was a bad choice of words on my side. The fact is, when you run XP for the 1st time, say on Bootcamp, it knows what hardware its running on for activation. When you then access the partition from parallels, it thinks you've changed the hardware and would ask for activation again.

One word of warning, each installation will require activation but both setups are recognized as separate PCs so only one will activate. If you intend on trying both Boot Camp and Parallels then I advise delaying activation until you have made your decision on which to use.

From here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.