Possible G3 B&W with Dual Processors?

E

evopanop

Hey all,

I'm a long time PC user, just recently bought a base model G3 B&W and I've already bought some upgrades for it (and I haven't even received the computer yet! lol); and, I was wondering if it was at all possible to make a dual processor G3 B&W. I don't have the actual tower yet, so I can't really comment on the internals, but is it like a PC where mostly all internal parts interchangeable with other Macs, etc.? So, basically, could I swap, say, a dual processor mother board from a G4 or G5 into a G3? Just kinda curious... lol.

Don't be too harsh on me, I'm a mac newb. :p lol

Thanks, in advance, everyone. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
my be a g4 but, g5 no way.

check out xlr8yourmac.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Even with the G4 it depends on which board... The external case design, which started with the B&W G3 and ended with the MDD G4 (the design often is also called "El Capitan") might be more or less the same, but the insides are very different...I'm not sore if the motherboard fixations are the same for all those boards

OP
E

evopanop

the_New_guy said:
my be a g4 but, g5 no way.

check out xlr8yourmac.com

I checked out that website, but I was unable to find anything about putting dual processors into the G3.

Thanks for the information, Avalon. I guess the only option left would be to buy and try... over and over again, lol. I was hoping someone had done it already, but I guess not. Oh well. I suppose I'll just get the PL 1.1GHz, lol.

Thanks for the information, both of you. If anyone else has seen anything like this done before, or has any ideas/comments/opinions, please feel free to continue to post them.

Thanks! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You're welcome ;)

Oh, and by the way:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
You can put a G4 Motherboard into that case. I have a Gigabit Ethernet G4 in my B&W case. The only things you need to change are the front panel board, the power supply, and remove the real port cover. If you dont replace the front panel board you need an older style USB keyboard with a power button on it. Thats wha tI am doing since it looks like I still have the old board in mine.

OP
E

evopanop

Acill said:
You can put a G4 Motherboard into that case. I have a Gigabit Ethernet G4 in my B&W case. The only things you need to change are the front panel board, the power supply, and remove the real port cover. If you dont replace the front panel board you need an older style USB keyboard with a power button on it. Thats wha tI am doing since it looks like I still have the old board in mine.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I guess I'll just have to save up some MORE $$ to get a new mobo and cpu's, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.