Need Advice on Buying a New iMac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My husband and I are looking to purchase a couple of iMacs within the next month. We are looking at the 24" with the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'd like the 4gigs of memory but it seems ridiculously expensive - an extra $150 for 2gigs and an extra $850 for the 4 gigs. ?!?

I have used Dell PCs over the last 10 years and am used to just popping out old memory and installing new stuff whenever I want to upgrade. Is that possible to do with this iMac or do you HAVE to go to the Apple Store in order to upgrade memory? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nanner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
no do not get memory through apple way over priced. There are several aftermarket brands (i am partial to crucial) buy your own and install yourself. It will cost a fraction of the price (i think around $200 for 4 gb), doesn't void your warranty, and only takes a few min to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I just got the same model iMac, and immediately ordered 4GB from Crucial.com. Cost was about $120.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I will follow your advice and get the Crucial memory upgrades.

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.