MacBook or iMac - Need Help Please - New to Mac's

Reaction score
Well I decided to make the switch and I'm getting a mac. This is going to be lengthy so I apologize, but I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Long story short, my last computer from best buy was a lemon so I exchanged it for a MacBook. It is arriving today. I called the Mac store near me and they said if I don't open it have the option of exchanging it for an iMac.

I am no longer in college so I don't need something to take to class anymore, but I do like the ability to move it around the house, take on vacation, etc.

I would say 90 percent of the time I will be using it at a desk, but for the other 10 I'm not sure if I want to limit myself. For the same price, 1499, I could do an even exchange on the black macbook I'm getting today and get the iMac. I liked the 20 inch screen of the iMac, larger hard drive, and more USB ports.

Do you guys think there is a big speed difference between 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz with the same amount of ram? I don't play games, except for stupid online flash games. Are there any other advantages to iMac over Macbook?

I also was thinking I coud just buy an extrernal display and wireless keyboard for the macbook and then I would have best of both worlds, but an iMac would be cheaper than doing that plus it would look cleaner.

Also, I plan on using this mostly for basic web browsing, music, home video editing, and personal photo editing (I have photoshop for PC).

What do you all think? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

I have an iMac and a MacBook. I use the MacBook far far far more often than I use the iMac... probably 95% of the time that I am on the computer (even at home) I am on the MacBook. My wife and kids enjoy the iMac's Screen size and full size keyboard... but me... I choose the MacBook.

Great for Road Trips
Great for Airplanes
Great for hotel rooms
Great at a local library or deli
great great great. :D

OP
M
Reaction score
*bump*
anybody else? Macbook arrived today and it's going to be hard not to open it tonight. If anyone has any strong arguments one way or the other please advise asap!! Thanks!!!

Reaction score
the only tradeoff compared to the iMac is the small screen... The difference is just huge.

But you can always get a screen later and a keyboard and use it as a desktop :)

Can't make the iMac a laptop though... So if you don't play games stick with the MacBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There is little noticeable difference between 2.2 and 2.4 Ghz. And since you don't game much then you won't need the imac's dedicated graphics card. So to me the main consideration is will you use the computer much in places without a power source? Ie out and about. If so then the macbook is for you. But if not then the imac is for you.

The imac can't be a notebook. But it can be easily packed up and ported from place to place. And there are special imac bags some various companies make that make these moves rather easy.

The macbook isn't really a desktop either though. It's not really designed to be on for a long time (5-10 hours +) at a time. You'd have to invest in a cooling pad or similar to put under the macbook to cool the whole setup down. Not a necessity but I'd say well worth it.

The last thing to consider is the screen real estate. 20 inches with the imac is really nice. But again not a necessity. Just really nice.

It up to you now to decide which on is for you. But since you bought a macbook, I'd say open it up and enjoy it. And congrats with your purchase.

Reaction score
I had a MPB. I do a lot of photo editing, I found the small 15" screen to be a real pain after a while. I've since bought a 24''imac. I'd never go back to editing on the MBP. But if you just want to surf the web and listen to music than a notebook would be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.