question about installing MySQL on a mac

Reaction score
I've enabled Apache and PHP on my OS 10.3.9-running Mac, and am trying to figure out if the MySQL program installed correctly. I ran both the MySQLStartupItem.pkg and mysql-osx10.3-powerpc.pkg, which both said "installation successful" and in the terminal, I typed the command: sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM start
which gave me back the statement: "Starting MySQL database server".

I'm super-new to this -- I know my PHP is running, but at this point, how do I make sure MySQL working? Does that message above mean that it is?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
From the mysql manual:

To start the daemon:
If you have installed the Startup Item, use this command:

shell> sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM start
(Enter your password, if necessary)
(Press Control-D or enter "exit" to exit the shell)

If you don't use the Startup Item, enter the following command sequence:

shell> cd /usr/local/mysql
shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
(Enter your password, if necessary)
(Press Control-Z)
shell> bg
(Press Control-D or enter "exit" to exit the shell)

Once this is done, you should be able to connect to the MySQL server, by running /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
A little suggestion: If you don't want to deal with all of the configuration you can use MAMP, it's free and it works fantasitc. I use it do mirror my sites locally to develop on.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
A little suggestion: If you don't want to deal with all of the configuration you can use MAMP, it's free and it works fantasitc. I use it do mirror my sites locally to develop on.

Mamp is a great app.

But my question is can you configure mamp/apache/mysql so that php files can live in any folder and be viewed as web pages rather than having to live in a sub-folder of the htdocs folder in mamp?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.