Please help: A disk error occurred

Reaction score
Hello. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, but here's my question.

I've been running Windows XP Professional using VMWare Fusion for my macbook with Leopard. I have just tried to start up virtual pc and as it boots up the terminal window, it stops with the message:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Since I did not know how to press that in mac keyboard, i connected the external usb keyboard and tried, but the same message appears. So anyone know how to fix this problem? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, but here's my question.

I've been running Windows XP Professional using VMWare Fusion for my macbook with Leopard. I have just tried to start up virtual pc and as it boots up the terminal window, it stops with the message:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Since I did not know how to press that in mac keyboard, i connected the external usb keyboard and tried, but the same message appears. So anyone know how to fix this problem? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sounds like your virtual hard disk is corrupted. The easy thing to do would be to restore the hard disk file from backup (assuming you made one at some point).

Barring that, you could boot the virtual machine from the Windows XP CD, go into the Recovery Console and try running CHKDSK C: /R to run a repair on the virtual disk.

If that doesn't work and you have no backup, you'll need to recreate your virtual machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.