Partition Problem!

Reaction score
This is a kind of operating system/hard-ware question, but whatever.

Basically, I have a 60GB Mini Mac (Intel-processor) and a 500GB External hard-drive. I'm not sure on the RAM for the hard drive, but I copied 15 GB of music in about 40 minutes if that helps at all.

What I want to do: I want to partition the Mini Mac so I can run OS X (for basically everything you'd want to use a mac for) and run Windows XP (for basically just games like Half-Life, nothing too hardcore). Is it possible to run both operating systems on a Mini Mac and store programs and files for BOTH systems on the external hard drives? If so, how would I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's certainly very possible. You'll need to format the external drive using something that both Windows and OS X can read/write to. The out-of-the-box solution is to use FAT32, but that is a rather antiquated and limited file system that really should be avoided (see my previous commentary on that here).

I would recommend using Windows to format the external drive using NTFS. Then download and install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G to enable OS X to have write access to NTFS partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
And to install Windows you would need to use Boot Camp, but I'm sure you already knew that ;P

OP
S
Reaction score
Coolio.

Been pretty busy this week, but I'll try it out over the weekend...we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.