iCal as a desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Can it be done? It'd be very handy to have an editable calender as a desktop... I'm sure there's a way, I just can't figure it out! I've done Google searches but they come up with forum posts and other things from '03 which isn't very helpful...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I used desktop calendar to show me a calendar, however it doesn't sync with iCal. One I used to use was menucalendarclock - it sat in the menubar, with a dropdown calendar, which you could add events to. Not sure if it simply launched iCal to add the event or if you could do it within the menu itself. You should be able to find it at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com

Even just a search for calendar turned up some more results when I did that just recently. The one I mentioned was shareware, but there may be a freeware alternative.

Something a little different - there are live updating desktops from Vlad Studio, which were discussed a little in the desktop of the month thread. There's an app you launch to run them (also available from the vlad studio site) and a large number of free desktops to download with it. Others require membership, but there are some pretty good free ones. All desktops show date and current time in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's an idea that may work for you.

First: pick up WebDesktop. This app will overlay a web page of your choice onto your desktop.

Next: Switch to using Google Calendar. You can sync iCal to Google Calendar using a variety of methods. Search Google for the various options.

Once you have Google Calendar up and running, you can simply use WebDesktop to overlay GC's webpage onto your desktop. When you need to make changes, just click on the WebDesktop icon in the dock to bring the page forward.

A better solution, if one exists, would be to read/write your iCal database directly from a web browser. If so, you could store that html file on your computer and load that as the WebDesktop item.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.