Unable to open a zipped file .docx

Reaction score
I've received an email with an attachment which I'm happy to open. But, the file has a .docx extension on it and its icon has "zip" on it. I guess it's a zipped file (duh, no brainer!) but this doesn't help me to open it.

If I show it in the finder and "open" it, all that happens is that it turns into a file with .docx.cpgz extension!

Ideas? Solutions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Gotta love Microsoft for instituting a new file format that not even their own apps can natively open.

Try this

The .docx is the new XML based office document format. It was created with Word 2007 for Windows. The link above is for the converter so the document can be opened with office 2004 apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's not a .zip file... it's a gzip file variation, though from a user's standpoint, they work the same.
http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/cpgz

Actually.. judging from the fact you get the .cpgz file after opening the email attachment, I think the .cpbz file was inside a .zip file, oddly enough. Anyway, you should be able to open the .cpgz file you have to get the .docx file. Just open that... according to the site above, it's supported in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Gotta love Microsoft for instituting a new file format that not even their own apps can natively open.

Try this

The .docx is the new XML based office document format. It was created with Word 2007 for Windows. The link above is for the converter so the document can be opened with office 2004 apps.

In addition to the file converter linked above, you can open .docx files (and their friends, .xlsx and .pptx files) using Microsoft Office 2008, iWork, and NeoOffice (supposedly, although I have had no luck with the latter.)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks MacsWork, that's done the trick.

I read it lifeisabeach, but not much the wiser. Looks like a useful site though.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.