wireless mouse: usb or bluetooth?

Reaction score
I was close to buying a new macbook pro yesterday until I read this rumors of an update, but I think I'm gonna start buying peripherals for it.

So, for a wireless mouse what are the pros/cons of usb vs. bluetooth. I'm going to be using this machine mostly for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc...Probably play some games too. Which mouse do you recommend?

Reaction score
well it depends? first look at prices, i believe bluetooth is a little more expensive, but nothing major. Secondly, usb is always reliable because you just plug it into the usb slot and use the wireless, even though the range is shorter than a bluetooth, they are stronger. the usb mouses tend to be smaller though, YOU CAN USE USB'S WITH NEARLY EVERYTHING, BUT NOT ALL PRODUCTS HAVE BLUETOOTH ENABLED. its really just based upon your preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
Will you be using the mouse only on your MBP ?
Will you be traveling from place to place ?
Will you be using all of your usb ports at once ?

If you take these questions into account, I would strongly recommend the bluetooth mouse.

OP
G
Reaction score
the only thing that would keep me away from bluetooth would be accuracy issues. I need it for detailed work and precise control, plus I'd like to be able to use it for games too. I think i'm leaning towards usb, probably the logitech vx nano.

The only plus I see to a bluetooth mouse is that you keep a usb port free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
The only plus I see to a bluetooth mouse is that you keep a usb port free

Well then that's your answer. I do not have any experience with a bluetooth mouse, but my usb wireless mouse works flawless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 2.16GHz, 2G RAM, 120G HD
I usea bluetooth mouse for my MB so to keep USB port free, the main problem is that when my MB wake up from sleep mode, sometimes it doesn't recognise the mouse, have to switch on and off the bluetooth connection to re-recognise ti again. I have to say my bluetooth mouse is only a cheap one from ebay, may be the expensive one will be better

Overall no big problem, better than the trackpad

If you worry about accuracy and precise work, may I strongly recommend you to get a laser mouse, I bought one for my PC recently, and the accuracy and response is like nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Defn get a laser mouse. If you do a lot of technical photo work I think I would go with the VX Revolution, its bigger than the Nano and fits my hand better, I was going to get the Nano but I'm glad I got the Revolution it's much more comfortable in my hand.

Reaction score
I just recently got a MBP and pondered the usb vs. bluetooth mouse question..

For "at desk" work - I prefer using an external Keyboard - so I purchased the usb-wired mac external keyboard w. the 2 extra USB ports (and the number pad). I like to limit the abuse on laptop keyboards and really like the feel or the USB Mac keyboard.

I also purchased the Logitech VX Revolution (USB) mouse. The USB receiver is TINY.. in fact not only does it store *inside* the mouse when you're transporting it, its nearly completely hidden when plugged into the external Mac keyboard's USB port. This is extremely convenient because those little receivers have a bad hbit of getting accidentally hit, bumped etc and breaking off *or* mangling the USB port in which it sits. However, attatched to the keyboard its hidden and.. well.. if it DID mangle the USB port.. its a lot easier (and inexpensive) to replace a $55 CDN keyboard than one of the MBP usb slots.

The mouse is laser, very comfortable for its size and I can't say enough about the tiny receiver. I have yet to experience any issues - I plugged the usb keyboard in, plugged the VX usb receiver into the mac keyboard and its working perfectly.

I have read the mouse works with increased functionality with 3rd party software (steermouse) but I have 2 buttons + scroll wheel right out of the box.

...anyways - thats my experience with USB peripherals to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have an older Logitech bluetoth mouse that was given to me by a customer which is alright.

It's optical, not laser, so it doesn't always feel that accurate, but the pairing and responsiveness is okay.

After a while of inactivity it takes it half a second to "wake" again, but it's hardly noticeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.2ghz dual core, 8600gt 128mb, 120gig hd, 2 gig ram
i recently bought the wireless mighty mouse and its pretty decent. theres no reconnecting issues when you wake the mac plus even the mouse can wake it. for accuracy, i have been using it for graphics and its not too bad. i did have some problems with small anchor points (when my cursor was over the point it still said i didn't click it). other than that its not too bad, i was able to get it right.

RCh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
Also, if you intend to use your laptop on battery power often, I believe that keeping bluetooth on drains the battery considerably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
i recently bought the wireless mighty mouse and its pretty decent. theres no reconnecting issues when you wake the mac plus even the mouse can wake it. for accuracy, i have been using it for graphics and its not too bad. i did have some problems with small anchor points (when my cursor was over the point it still said i didn't click it). other than that its not too bad, i was able to get it right.

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse here too - with no problems with accuracy or waking up. It could do with a couple of extra buttons though (coming from the land of Windows) to assign things like "Back" to the mouse to aid surfing etc. The 2 side buttons only work when pressed together to open Expose, or another app of your choice. If I've missed something, someone please tell me!

Horness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
At home, I use a Logitech MX Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that I bought for my windows desktop several years ago. It's great with responsiveness, and I love having a fully charged mouse available at all times. My bag has a Kensington Pilot bluetooth mouse that also works very well, but it doesn't fit my hand as well as the Logitech. Still, it's a great second choice.

Now if Logitech whips up a competitor to this: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=080 it will be on my desktop, and my current desktop mouse will go in my bag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Engadget just posted FCC pictures of an upcoming Logitech MX Revolution with bluetooth, so that might be worth waiting for...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.