How to do a clean install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
So apparently Leopard can't partition my hdd because I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard... So from what other people have said, I have to do a clean install. Fine with me! The only problem is... I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to reformat the hard drive! There's no option when I put in the Leopard disk, and I can't do it from Disk Utility...

Anyone have a nice tutorial?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Let me see if I understand. So, when you boot from the disk, and open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, there's no button for Erase when you select the Macintosh HD, or is the button there, but you can't click it? You are booting from the Leopard disk before going into Disk Utility, right? (just want to clarify)

I just did exactly what you're talking about on my MBP, (tiger/leopard upgrade formatted and clean install of leopard) but it worked fine. My problem was that when I booted from the disk, it appeared the disk wanted only to run setup. I didn't realize after choosing a language that the menubar appeared at the top and I could get into Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.