iTunes Has Stopped Seeing my Music...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Hello,

I have my iTunes library on a network share (instead of my MacBook), and it's never been a problem until a couple days ago.

Here are the symptoms: any new music/podcasts added - no problem. Every morning I refresh my podcasts, and iTunes finds the Library on the networked share and copies the new podcasts to it. No problem. However all of the rest of my 3600+ songs/podcasts (anything added prior to just a few days ago) have little question-marks in front of them. If I click on them, I get the "iTunes can not locate this song, would you like to locate it?" error. If I click "yes" and navigate to the iTunes library on the network share, then iTunes can find it.

Also, after a reboot of the MacBook, iTunes resets the library location back to the default (MacBook/Users/Joe/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music). Just quitting/restarting the iTunes app does not do this. It's never done this before. I can't figure out what's changed.

After a reboot, I've changed the library location back to the music folder on the network share (several times). I've tried "Consolidate Library" several times. Nothing seems to work.

Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I know is the latest iTunes changed the way it saves the library. When I tried going back to an older iTunes it could not read the Library. I am wondering if that has something to do with it since it's an external Library on a network. Just a guess.

OP
applewax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Ya know, now that you mention it, I did just upgrade to iLife08 about a week or so ago. And that's about when I noticed that iTunes wasn't seeing all my music.

It's weird, because - like I said - iTunes writes new music/podcasts to the library on the network share, it just does not see the 3600+ existing songs that it had previously cataloged. Is there a command to have iTunes "re-catalog" the library? If I use the Finder and drag/drop the entire 3600 songs from the network share into iTunes, will that force it to re-catalog?

Any other thoughts? Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.