OS X 10.5 Leopard - Installation error message "No software to install"

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my Intel iMac (Early 2006) from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard OS X 10.5.

I insert the Leopard DVD and installation begins after restarting. The DVD consistency check runs fine but as soon as installation commences a yellow exclamation mark appears on the screen and informs me that installation could not complete as there is "no software to install".

- I have checked the DVD for scratches: No scratches.
- I have changed the RAM: Error messages occur regardless of the RAM configuration. (I have 2 x 1Gb RAM memory sticks installed, from Kingston memory). I went back to the original iMac RAM installed (2 x 512Mb RAM sticks) and the same error message appears.
- Checked software update under the Apple icon on my iMac and all the OS X 10.4.11 software is current.
- OS X 10.5 Leopard DVD purchased from Amazon.

I restart the iMac using the Startup disk and return to OS X 10.4.11.

Any hints on how to get the Leopard installation to work?

Thanks,
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can you do a clean install by backing up the HDD and erasing? Leopard does seem to have any number of problems handling upgrade. May well be as it is a completely different cat to Tiger.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just ran the Disk Utility that appears in the OS X 10.5 installation DVD menu. I verified Permissions and performed a Repair Disk. Still no luck.

OP
T
Reaction score
Success!

I moved 21Gb of stored files from the hard drive I was trying to install Leopard on. Went from 29Gb of free space to 50Gb.

For some reason the OS X 10.5 Leopard installation process liked this and Leopard installed.

I thought only 9Gb of free space was required to install Leopard?

Anyway, it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.