G4 QuickSilver Help

Reaction score
I purchased a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 733 MHz and will upgrading the memory this weekend but I didn't if there was anything I needed to worry about. As in the PRAM errors or kernel panics. I will also be putting in a wire less card.

Any ideas or know how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
See my PowerPC RAM FAQ thread for any RAM questions for the Quicksilver. Do you plan on installing Apple's AirPort card? Just an FYI, the Quicksilver requires the standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version. It's usually 2x as expensive as the newer version. Or do you plan on buying an PCI wireless card?

OP
E
Reaction score
See my PowerPC RAM FAQ thread for any RAM questions for the Quicksilver. Do you plan on installing Apple's AirPort card? Just an FYI, the Quicksilver requires the standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version. It's usually 2x as expensive as the newer version. Or do you plan on buying an PCI wireless card?

I have read your guide and it's very informative. I just didn't know if after I installed the memory and turned it on it would work or there would be a kernel panic or something. I don't know how to reset it when it happens.

I purchased 2 sticks of 512 MB.

It's a PCI wireless card.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just be sure the RAM is PC133 and not PC100. That is what the 733 Quicksilver wants.

Does that PCI NIC have drivers for OSX or support built into the OS?

If yes to both all should go well.

OP
E
Reaction score
Just be sure the RAM is PC133 and not PC100. That is what the 733 Quicksilver wants.

Does that PCI NIC have drivers for OSX or support built into the OS?

If yes to both all should go well.

I got the memory from Crucial and put in G4 Quicksilver and 733 MHz. This is what I got: 2) 512MB 168-PIN DIMM 64MX64 SDRAM PC133.

PCI Card: This card is 100% compatible with the models in the list running Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar,10.3 Panther,10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard,same chip-set as the Airport Extreme,completely plug and play. It do not need any drivers,it is recognized by the Mac OS as an Airport Extreme Card.

I should be okay then??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got the memory from Crucial and put in G4 Quicksilver and 733 MHz. This is what I got: 2) 512MB 168-PIN DIMM 64MX64 SDRAM PC133.

PCI Card: This card is 100% compatible with the models in the list running Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar,10.3 Panther,10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard,same chip-set as the Airport Extreme,completely plug and play. It do not need any drivers,it is recognized by the Mac OS as an Airport Extreme Card.

I should be okay then??

Looks good! Let us know how it works.

OP
E
Reaction score
Looks good! Let us know how it works.

It will probably be Friday night or Saturday when I get it all installed.

Another quick question: This may be considered as "illegal" but I am not sure. If it is don't answer. Can I use the Tiger CDs that came with my MBP to reload tiger on the G4 or is the tiger dvds specific to the MBP?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not even the Legal issues, the Install DVD that comes with your MBP is Machine Specific and even worse, will only work on an Intel CPU. You can not use an Intel install DVD on a Power PC Mac.

So yes, it would be against the rules but in this case it will not even work at all even if it was not.

OP
E
Reaction score
It's not even the Legal issues, the Install DVD that comes with your MBP is Machine Specific and even worse, will only work on an Intel CPU. You can not use an Intel install DVD on a Power PC Mac.

So yes, it would be against the rules but in this case it will not even work at all even if it was not.

That's what I thought but I was just checking to make sure.

Will the Tiger dvds available on Amazon work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's the Black DVD it will work. Can you give me a URL to that Tiger on Amazon just to be sure? The only 10.4 Tiger I have seen they sell on Amazon is what you need. It will install on any PPC Mac.

I just checked and Amazon is out of their minds! $199 for a one license version of Tiger with Leopard at $109?

Reaction score

I should be okay then??

Hi eric.... I also have a QS 733 and have been slowly upgrading it over about 5 years or so. The Memory upgrade was very simple. As stated make sure its PC133. I just unplugged my system, plugged in the new memory and powered it up. Go to 'About This Mac' and it will tell you what your new memory status is.

I added a wireless card PCI version. Again simple plug and play. I didn't pay a lot for the card either which made it even more satisfying.

I added a new Superdrive (£25) on ebay. New in box etc. Again only armed with a screw driver it took about 10 minutes to instal and power up. QS recognised the drive straight away.

Have just bought a new Hard drive. Paid for a Seagate Barracuda 120Gb and was sent 160Gb (although it will only format to 128Gb on my QS). Set as SLAVE so I can keep all my data and just move it across to the new drive. Cost, with screw set was approx £45).

All the above over a period of 5 years or so. I am looking at Processor upgrades and the 1.8Ghz Sonnet looks promising but a little expensive so will be waiting a while on that.

I still have the original Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Twin view AGP with 64Mb. Can upgrade this quite cheaply, although it runs my system quite nicely.

QS really are a great way to upgrade from as it is all so relatively simple.

and I know people will say for the cost I could have bought a new better, faster, all singing system..... but that would have meant one large layout of cash.... upgrading has allowed me to do it over a period of time and my bank account hasn't even noticed money is missing.

Good luck with your upgrades and enjoy the process.
O:) Reaperman

OP
E
Reaction score
If it's the Black DVD it will work. Can you give me a URL to that Tiger on Amazon just to be sure? The only 10.4 Tiger I have seen they sell on Amazon is what you need. It will install on any PPC Mac.

I just checked and Amazon is out of their minds! $199 for a one license version of Tiger with Leopard at $109?

Even eBay is pricey with the Tiger DVD's. :Shouting:

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi eric.... I also have a QS 733 and have been slowly upgrading it over about 5 years or so. The Memory upgrade was very simple. As stated make sure its PC133. I just unplugged my system, plugged in the new memory and powered it up. Go to 'About This Mac' and it will tell you what your new memory status is.

I added a wireless card PCI version. Again simple plug and play. I didn't pay a lot for the card either which made it even more satisfying.

I added a new Superdrive (£25) on ebay. New in box etc. Again only armed with a screw driver it took about 10 minutes to instal and power up. QS recognised the drive straight away.

Have just bought a new Hard drive. Paid for a Seagate Barracuda 120Gb and was sent 160Gb (although it will only format to 128Gb on my QS). Set as SLAVE so I can keep all my data and just move it across to the new drive. Cost, with screw set was approx £45).

All the above over a period of 5 years or so. I am looking at Processor upgrades and the 1.8Ghz Sonnet looks promising but a little expensive so will be waiting a while on that.

I still have the original Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Twin view AGP with 64Mb. Can upgrade this quite cheaply, although it runs my system quite nicely.

QS really are a great way to upgrade from as it is all so relatively simple.

and I know people will say for the cost I could have bought a new better, faster, all singing system..... but that would have meant one large layout of cash.... upgrading has allowed me to do it over a period of time and my bank account hasn't even noticed money is missing.

Good luck with your upgrades and enjoy the process.
O:) Reaperman

Sounds pretty easy to upgrade. I am going to keep the HD it came with 20 GB, I think. I will probably upgrade the HD later on when I can get a Tiger DVD. It came with Tiger pre-installed with Norton and etc...

OP
E
Reaction score
I got the memory & wireless PCI card added today and everything works AWESOME! Now I just need to get a Tiger cd so I can wipe what the previous owners did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As dtravis7 said make sure the Tiger DVD's are the black colored retail install discs and not the grey model specific ONLY system restore discs. See a lot of these on eBay as owner sell their Macs and later sell the restore disc for an extra couple of bucks.

Your 20GB HDD will be hard pressed by the time Tiger and apps are installed. Look for say an 80/120GB 7200 RPM HDD with 8MB cache. They are pretty cheap.

OP
E
Reaction score
As dtravis7 said make sure the Tiger DVD's are the black colored retail install discs and not the grey model specific ONLY system restore discs. See a lot of these on eBay as owner sell their Macs and later sell the restore disc for an extra couple of bucks.

Your 20GB HDD will be hard pressed by the time Tiger and apps are installed. Look for say an 80/120GB 7200 RPM HDD with 8MB cache. They are pretty cheap.

I have found a few black colored Tiger dvds on different sites. I have also been looking into a DVD/CD drive along with a different HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.