Are refurbished MacBooks worth it?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums, but I've had a few Macs in the past. I'm planning on purchasing a MacBook in March for my birthday. I was going to buy the new 2.0GHz MacBook from the Apple store upgrading to 2GB RAM and 120GB HD. I'm a student and use the basic Mac applications. I don't play many computer games and my boyfriend tells me that I shouldn't need a bigger HD or more RAM. All in all, with my education discount the total would be $1,202.

I then started looking at the refurbished MacBooks in the Apple Store. And I can purchase a Black MacBook with 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, and 160GB HD for $1,249. I was reading in a few other threads about how to upgrade the RAM, and found a website where I can upgrade to 2GB (2x1GB) for 49.99 plus tax and shipping. I was told that refurbished Macs don't have scratches and they are certified by Apple and don't have problems.

I like the BlackBooks more than the white, as they are more aesthetically pleasing. But I was reluctant to spend the extra money from the bottom model I was going to upgrade. My question to all of you is: Is it worth it to spend the extra $40 for the laptop and then the extra $50 to update the hard drive to get a refurbished laptop? Or should I just stick with the brand new Santa Rosa MacBooks?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
First off, I don't know why he would say you don't need a bigger HDD or more ram, you can always use more ram if the pocket book permits it, storage is good, the more you have is better. There is one rule of thumb though, don't buy your ram or HDD from Apple, they over charge for extra memory, big time.

You are always better off purchasing your ram and HDD's elsewhere. As for refurbs go, they are always good, since they are refurbished they will still be in like new condition, I really haven't seen any that have been in terrible condition at all.

I say go for the refurb and if you want extra storage and ram later on purchase it then. You'll save a little cash and you really won't notice a difference if you bought one off of the "brand new" shelf.

Reaction score
To me, the only difference with a refurb is the box it comes in.
Thats it.

Not to mention the other difference, the amazing prices they come at ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
I've got a 2.2/4gbram/200gb 7200 for sale. Is take 1250 and shipping. Pm me if interested just try to help out

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting a refurbished Macbook Pro and even though I'm sure it will work great. How do I know they're won't be any cosmetic damage to it like scratches, dents, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
there usually aren't any flaws like that at all. Most of the time the "cosmetic" imperfections are in the packaging.

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright. I went into my Apple Store today to talk to one of the associates because I was getting nowhere talking to associates online. I was told that Refurbished MacBooks are just returned MacBooks that have been opened for some reason or another. There aren't supposed to be any scratches or imperfections on the laptop, and if there are, Apple will take it back no problem and exchange it for another.

And I was curious, I've been reading from a very small few number of members that they ordered a refurb and received a laptop with upgraded RAM or HDD. What are the actual odds of receiving one of these? If I ordered my refurb over the phone, could I offer an associate my first born child to send me one with upgrades?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I get leery of refurbs...

Reaction score
I have a refurb and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when it comes time to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 matte screen 2.2 Ghz C2D 120GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM
I bought my MBP from Apple as a refurb. The only difference I noticed was the box it came in. Cosmetically it was perfect. No dents, scratches, dings etc. Don't know why it was returned but it runs just fine. I'm normally hesitant when it comes to spending that much for a "refurbished" product. After buying it though I would definitely do it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB
yes, they are just as good.. maybe even better since they look them over really well before they ship them out. i've bought a mb and a mbp over the last year there. go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I got my MBP and the only reason I knew it was a refurb was because of the box it came in. I suggest anyone looking to save a few bucks go the refurb route. The have the same warranty as new, look new, and are cheaper. What's not to like?

I just got an AppleTV refurb too and it even came in the original box. The only way I knew it was refurb as because the white product sticker on the side said so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I wouldn't go the refurb route, but apparently I'm in the minority around here. It may be "like new", but it's not new and unopened, and thus not new enough for my liking. I like to think of it this way. If it was "as good as new"...why discount it at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.2Ghz C2D 1GB RAM 120GB HDD 8x Superdrive
can you only get refurbished macs form the apple store or is there a way to get them online?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I wouldn't go the refurb route, but apparently I'm in the minority around here. It may be "like new", but it's not new and unopened, and thus not new enough for my liking. I like to think of it this way. If it was "as good as new"...why discount it at all?

Most of the refurbished systems are returns. Once the box s openned you can not sell it at the full prices. That is one of the reason for the restocking fee.

can you only get refurbished macs form the apple store or is there a way to get them online?

i have seen refurbished systems at the Apple store.

Reaction score
I bought a refurb, black version, the trackpad had the tiniest sign of being smoothed down. Apart from that it was fine.

Except that two months later the hard drive went and couldn't be recovered...how glad i was for having backed up. Was it because it was a refurb? I don't think so, could have happened to a brand new one too.

Reaction score
I received a white refurbished today that I purchased from Apple. I paid $899 plus tax and free shipping. It's a 2.0, 80gig hd, 1gig ram, 4mg L2. It came in a brown box and looked like new. The only thing you could notice was the battery door had been opened because there was a couple of marks where you release the door. I could have purchased a brand new one through the education store for $100 more. All though I am happy with this Macbook I have to say if I had it to do over again I would have paid the other $100 and got a brand new one. This one came with Tiger installed and a Leopard install disk. I had to wipe the drive and install Leopard and that would have been worth the extra $100. It's just like new but the $100 just isn't enough money to save.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is it a better idea to buy a refurb in the Apple store? Or buy it online?
If you bought it in the store, do they tell you the specs of the specific MacBook and what OS they have on it? Did they let you look at it before you actually purchased it?

Because one of the associates at my local Apple store told me if there are any cosmetic imperfections on the MacBook I purchase, I can return it no problem.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
<-- extremely happy refurb owner here, x2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.