Adobe PDF Viewer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
Whenever I download a PDF off the internet I get a message saying that "AdobePDFviewer cannot find an application to view the selected file, please choose an application" or something along those lines. Each time this occurs, I have to go to my applications folder and select Adobe Reader 8.0.

How can I get my computer to remember that Adobe Reader can view these files so that I do not have to select it from a list every time I download an PDF online?

I have a PowerBook G4 and am running Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Select a PDF file, click on it once, and open the "get info" window, by either right clicking, or selecting "get info", from the FILE drop down while in the finder.
When the Get Info window opens, you will see toward the bottom, "open with" Here you can select which program you like to use to open all PDFs. Click on change all, and that should make Adobe PDF viewer your default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Why are you using Adobe Reader when preview can handle these files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Why are you using Adobe Reader when preview can handle these files?

Yeah, why load another app when Preview does the trick and is already installed?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
powermac - I had already set Preview as my default viewer for all PDFs. For some reason the PDFs I am downloading online are not being loaded by Preview though and I am still forced to choose an app each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Do your PDFs on your system have an icon of Adobe or Preview? You may have to repeat the step to determine you default PDF reader.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
They have an icon of Preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
Try going to Library>Internet Plug-Ins (both in the main Library and your user Library - the plugin might be in either location).

Find AdobePDFViewer.plugin and delete it.

If that doesn't fix it you may have to download adobe pdf reader and change the preferences so it's not the default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.