MSN and Yahoo Messenger for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I hope this is in the right section, and it is worth nothing that I recently got connected to the net so no more internet cafe's for me.

The downside of this is that I can't chat to or see my fiancee online on Yahoo messenger and I get the following message everytime I try to log on.

Yahoo2.png

I have tried reinstalling, restarting and redownloading but to no avail.

Now msn messenger works ok but doesn't have a webcam option, in fact messenger for Mac is surprisingly basic.

MSNMESS.png

This is common knowledge but I've never had an explanation why such a cool and modern computer company utilises a version of msn messenger that ooks like the first version from the late 90's. Is it because Bill gates is jealous of Apple and won't let it use the Live Messenger?

It would be great if there was a way I could just use webcam and chat to my fiancee, please assist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Microsoft? Cool and modern? LOL!

Sorry... but you are SOL at the moment. Microsloth does claim to be working on a major update to MSN Messenger for Mac that will support video chat. Also... a Mac version of Trillian is under active development... perhaps that will have video chat feature when ready.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Well, there is a simple solution. Please head to www.skype.com. It is FREE!

Install on both PC and Mac machines and well, you'll have the webcam up and going in no time.

Trust me, this is the best option with live video/audio communication on the net. I went through the same thing you are experiencing.

As I mentioned earlier. Everything is free! Chat for hours and hours and hours.

Hope this helps!

EDIT - You might want to delete the photo of your MSN with the contact information in it. Just in case your friend doesn't want any sort of spam and their info public. Just my opinion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using the latest Beta of Yahoo Messenger? I am running Version 3.0 Beta 2 Build 78326. No issues connecting to Yahoo and I use it to chat with a few Yahoo friends. Do you have Yahoo Messenger set up correctly? Who is your ISP? Do they require any special settings?

The MSN Messenger is totally Microsoft's fault it's not more up to date. They are working on a new version for OSX that will support Video and Voice chat. Who knows when they will get it finished.

Till then there is Amsn that does video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM
you should just get Adium, that way you can talk to all of your friends on msn and yahoo using on messenger.
download it here
Adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Are you using the latest Beta of Yahoo Messenger? I am running Version 3.0 Beta 2 Build 78326. No issues connecting to Yahoo and I use it to chat with a few Yahoo friends. Do you have Yahoo Messenger set up correctly? Who is your ISP? Do they require any special settings?

The MSN Messenger is totally Microsoft's fault it's not more up to date. They are working on a new version for OSX that will support Video and Voice chat. Who knows when they will get it finished.

Till then there is Amsn that does video.

note for AMSN - unless there's been a fairly recent update to the app, Intel mac users had to do a little manual 'tweaking' in order to get webcams to work. I downloaded it some time last year, and although I'm pretty sure it was universal binary, the webcam didn't work. I spent some time looking for a way to get it to work. In the end, I think I had to open a hidden file somewhere, and add several lines of code to it. Not fun.

But, I suppose it's the only real option for MSN webcam chat.

Skype is OK, but I've found that the webcam starts to lag after a while (a while being maybe 20 minutes, and lag being well over 40 seconds - audio was OK at best, but video sync to the audio was way off), and sometimes refuses to start at all. Although the original poster can't use iChat video calls, I found this to be far superior to Skye for both audio quality and video framerate. No lag and no disconnections.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
To my amazement it worked this morning, though not as it should.

It came up with a different message - it was still a negative one but I typed in my name and password and it worked!

After an hour or so my gf's computer crashed (Filipino net not that reliable) so I quit and restarted again after 10 minutes - and the problem is now back as it was.

I have no idea how to contact Yahoo Tech Support, I have looked ta their main page, under preferences in YM and everything.

All I want is to contact them but how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Adium > All. I hear they're developing video chat support so hopefully that will be implemented soon.

Cameron, it'd be helpful if you tried installing a program like adium that can connect to the yahoo servers and see if you get the same error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.